Filter cleaning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I cleaned out Eheim 2217 cannister filter today for the first time. The tank has been running for 4 months. Man what a mess in there. I put the bio media in a pail of tank water, rinsed and squeezed the course filter pad in tank water, and replaced the fine filter pad at the top. I got to imagine that stuff in the filter or tank is probably about the same thing as far as it being in contact with the water.

My question is do you think that I will have to add more nitrate and phosphate to the tank now that the filter is cleaned? I was adding every other day the way it was.

Thanks,
Krn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Yikes... why wait so long?

Filters don't eat Nitrate or Phosphate. Measure first, then add accordingly. I would not expect any change in dosage...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

That wasn't my point. Actually the filter does produce nitrate through the nitrification process. In the bio media it converts from ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. In a plant tank the plants consume the nitrate. Actually in a reef tank wet/dry filters were taken down in favor od live rock only because the filters were basically nitrate factories. In a fish only tank water changes are needed to reduce them. What I was curious about was with all the muck in the filter, was this a "home" for creating phosphate and nitrate. I figured like in a tank that is dirty you can get increased nitrate and phosphate. Just curious.

Ken

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Sorry, I guess I missed your point. Me wondering about filter maintenance was besides the point.

I still think filters don't produce or remove nitrates and phosphates. They provide surface area for bacteria that convert Ammonia to Nitrite and Nitrate, but whether they are gunked up or not, fish poop and decaying plants are the source for this. In a planted tank, plants increase the surface area for those bacteria, mechanical filtration only collects the floating debris.

Using a dirty mechanical filter medium as a source of nitrate and phosphate isn't a good solution IMO. Just from the perspective of fish that have to live in that tank. But I could be totally wrong.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Using a dirty mechanical filter medium as a source of nitrate and phosphate isn't a good solution IMO. Just from the perspective of fish that have to live in that tank. But I could be totally wrong.
===============================================

Now what you said is my point. Since the filter hadn't been cleaned and had so much crap in it, I was wondering if this caused an increase of nitrates and phophates to my tank. Now that it is cleaned out, and that source is not there, would I have to add more N and P to my tank than I had been doing before. It was just a curiosity thing.

Thanks,
Ken

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode