ADA no way - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA no way

These ADA tanks, no noticable flow, co2 just bubbling up and into the atmosphere, and all what looks to be under MH and T5 lighting.

Ha! How i say?!

I have battled co2 diffusion in the larger tanks, from rex grigg through to venturi.

Must just be for show...or i am missing something that would be integral to my success!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and much of that comes from bad judgement"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I put my atomic (forget those ceramic disks which are crap) under a powerhead which blows the co2 bubbles all over the place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
I believe you're supposed to put the diffuser underneath or in the flow of the lily pipes. Supposedly, the lily pipes have been designed to allow for optimal water flow (which includes CO2 distribution).

Personally, I use in-line CO2 reactors and rely on my outflow to spread the CO2.

Also, in many of these show tanks you see, they often times take out of the powerheads or reduce the water flow so that they can get a higher quality picture. In some tanks you'll see that they don't even have any filtration.... That's because they took them out before the photo op.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I can understand for the photo...

Are we in agreeance that these tanks in all practically, would not work, based on what we see?

Why dont they show the 'behind the scenes' tank or "ADA troubleshooting" (there probably is none, ha!)

I know that is not the purpose of the video but it would be far more valuable!

BTW the tank in my sig is not my current, and died due to everything from substrate though to excess light, to co2 diffusion!

Like this is just crazy:

2m40cm水槽_経時変化_2012.4.11 - YouTube

I am getting of topic but check out the lighting, which I assume is all MH.

Sure its a fair way from the tank... still...

I wonder if this guy had a few BBA tanks in his time!

Yeah this is more of a rant.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and much of that comes from bad judgement"

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-26-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Some of the videos have the filters off so you won't see the flow. In some of the ada videos you can clearly see the flow and how the mist of co2 is spreading throughout the tank. They don't have any special voodoo powers, just high light and high co2. I'm pretty sure there is fine tuning for all of their tanks after the initial setup that they don't show just like all high tech setups.

In the video you posted you can clearly see the mist of co2 swirling around on the right side of the tank. The bubbles that are quickly shooting to the surface are o2 bubbles produced by the pearling plants.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have no clue when it comes right down to it if my thoughts on most of it are correct or similar to other peoples thoughts
on a particular aspect of it. But I'd like to see them made to tell the filter system/GPM with these tanks. It's misleading to say the least
to photograph a tank not in it's fully operational state.
I'd also like to see a contest rule that the tank could not have any plants taken out or added for a 1 year period before the contest.
To be certified by pre-registration inspection at a 1 year point. I am fully aware that it would be impractical. I am also aware that a
percent of "us" don't ever allow any tank to exist for that long without changing "things".
But understand that there are some who keep the tank for years and just do subtle things along the way to it once their basic
form is achieved.
And last but most interesting pieces of info that I picked up from one company who uses those tanks in their advertising...
They said straight up "Yes we have algacide in them." It was only one company which said that but I only asked one company that question.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 12-26-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: change
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Banned

ADA no way

I love this topic because you always see people putting down amano and his products... But then you see his work and it's like, hmmmmm.

(Granted, this could be done with a ugly tank and some bogus equipment but it wouldn't be so pleasing to the eye.)

It probably has a whole lot to do with the fact that the man knows what he's doing and how to do it. Same principle as Tom Barr. When you have experience, many years of it at that... You tend to get the hang of things.

Also keep in mind, this is in japan where every minute detail is taken into account, on the Sumida aquariums the maintenance is done everyday (or was). They are not lazy like us Americans, I'm sure intense manual labor and finesse are put into each and every tank so that if a small amount of algae appears it's immediately taken care of. This isn't joe the plumber from down the street that has no pride in his work.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Actually there is a "repair" video on Amano's main tank in his home. Not the main topic of it of course but rather just part
of the filming of the construction of it. Seems that when first set up he didn't like the size of the discharge pipes for the
filter as they made too much current. Made them take it out and replace it/w larger ones so there wouldn't be so strong
of a current. I will try to find it and put it up here in a reply(from you tube) but don't count on it.
I think the man is due his respect for his accomplishments. But I also respect the fact that it fits the category of "to each
his own". After all...it's supposed to be a hobby. As such what you like or what she likes is up to the individual.
I was looking at the contest winners (all entrants ) for one of the years(I think 2012) and I noticed one that particularly
stuck out as being really good looking to me. Seems that a few of the judges thought so also because it was up near the
top of the list close to "the winner"/"first place" so it might seem that they look for some, at least of the same things that
I look for when I'm deciding what looks good to me. At the 5:50 mark in this video is "my favorite" one for my taste
as it has balance between hardscape and plants that appeals to me.
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...=p&age=0&&tt=b

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
There are plenty of maintenance videos. This best way to find these things out is to look on their site for all the free information you can get, and there's also a lot in the Aqua Journals.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
There are plenty of maintenance videos. This best way to find these things out is to look on their site for all the free information you can get, and there's also a lot in the Aqua Journals.
AJ's are good sources, more for trimming and horticulture, less for ferts, CO2 and light info. Their info for that? "Buy ADA stuff."

Products do not make a good scape, the hobbyist does.

I agree a lot more day to day effort is placed in most ADA style tanks and the show room and most ADA vendors. Same is true for a nice well done Japanese landscape garden. Cost is $$$, but on going maintenance is a lot more generally in terms of labor etc.

I think one myth is that the ADA lighting is high light. This is not factual. I have measured 6 ADA tanks with a PAR meter and found they have a much lower than predicted PAR reading, instead of being a high light tank, they are more low to moderate lighting.

Less light= slower growth= less work= more patience.
Tropica makes a strong case for this same idea, high CO2, low to moderate light:

http://www.tropica.com/en/tropica-ab...and-light.aspx

Current can be high or low, but with higher current, you can keep more fish and have higher O2. Most ADA tanks have few fish and those they do have are pretty tough customers.

I think high flow is good, but...........you need low pressure. You do not want high pressure flow, like a jet, you want gentle high volume flow. So large diameter returns to diffuse the flow evenly.

Still, once you measure the lighting, then the rest makes a lot more sense.
Something no one had bothered to do till maybe 5 years ago or so.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode