Invaded by Peacock Gudgeon fry- now what? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Invaded by Peacock Gudgeon fry- now what?

I swear ....every living ,swimming ,crawling thing that lives in my 10 gallon ,has had babies ,so far.And I set up my tank for decorative purposes only.....now the things are getting out of hand.
So far I have :
3 peacock gudgeons
1 Oto
3 Amano shrimp
around 50 small sized shrimp(red cherry ,blue pearls tigers etc...)
3 Assassin snails (plus a small baby one)
1 African Giant filter shrimp

On Christmas day I noticed that the Peacock Gudgeon eggs have hatched ,I can easily count 20 fry ,at any time ,so there must be more.I never intended to multiply them ,and never thought they will ,cause I'm rather new to fishkeeping.
The adults seem to ignore the fry ,they won't chase or eat them ,maybe they got used to small things running around in all directions ,cause the shrimp colony is also increasing.The fry are too small and too quick to net them ,they hide in the plants ,so I don't know what to do.
I have an empty 15 gallon tank in the basement ,I 'm thinking bring that up in the house and move the fry there ,when they'll be older.
None of my friends are interested in the fishkeeping hobby ,they're rather irresponsible when it comes to animals.I'd like to try a LFS ,give them away for free at the worst ,but I'm not sure they'll take them.

In conclusion ,I have a couple of questions(for now):
1.Is my tank overstocked?
2.How many times a week should I change the water and how much?
3.When will I have to start feeding the fry?
4.Will any LFS buy\accept fish from people?

Thank you in advance for reading this ,I know I should be happy that my critters are doing well and reproducing ,but I feel kinda sad knowing that I cannot take care of all those small fish ,I don't have nor the time ,neither the space to set up tanks all around the house.

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
I don't see why your LFS won't take the peacock gudgeons. I thought they're pretty rare?

Yes, the tank is overstocked when you consider the fry. If you don't feed them, I doubt many of them will survive. Are they already free swimming? Have their yolk sacs disappeared? If the answer's yes to either of them, then they are ready to be fed.

From my experience, it's easiest to catch fry using a turkey baster. The parents might not be happy about it, but it's the most efficient way I've learned to do it. It's also easiest to do it while their wrigglers since they wont dart away or try to avoid you.

You can try feeding them hikari first bites if you don't want it to be time intensive. If you want to be gungho about it, you can feed them newly hatched brine shrimp. That comes with it's own hassles, however.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced281 View Post
I don't see why your LFS won't take the peacock gudgeons. I thought they're pretty rare?

Yes, the tank is overstocked when you consider the fry. If you don't feed them, I doubt many of them will survive. Are they already free swimming? Have their yolk sacs disappeared? If the answer's yes to either of them, then they are ready to be fed.

From my experience, it's easiest to catch fry using a turkey baster. The parents might not be happy about it, but it's the most efficient way I've learned to do it. It's also easiest to do it while their wrigglers since they wont dart away or try to avoid you.

You can try feeding them hikari first bites if you don't want it to be time intensive. If you want to be gungho about it, you can feed them newly hatched brine shrimp. That comes with it's own hassles, however.
Thank you for the quick answer.
I bought these gudgeons at the LFS round the corner, this fall.I had seen them there ,didn't know what they were at the time ,and I already had shrimp in my tank.I thought they were some sort of killifish so I had doubts about buying them as shrimp roommates.I asked the guy what species they were and he showed me a photo of Apyosemion Gardneri.I had doubts about that too ,cause the mouth placement of Gardneri was not the same as the Peacock gudgeons.]
I don't blame the guys at the store for not knowing ,as it's rather a pet-shop ,not a fish-only store ,they have all sorts of creatures ,from pythons to parrots to tarantulas and chinchillas to take care of,they are all doing a great job ,and they are nice and patient to their customers.

I didn't buy them at that time ,still believing they were some sort of kili ,until one day ,I said what the hell ,and bought them.I posted a pic on this forum and it was then I got the right answer :Peacock Gudgeon
As I also found out they are kinda rare ,I thought they had no chance of reproducing in my tank ,and somehow hoped they would keep my shrimp from overtaking the tank ,eating the babies ,yet shrimp numbers still increased.

The fry are a 2 maybe 3 days old ,all I have as fish food are some flakes and frozen bloodworms.Should I already try feeding them finely grinded flakes?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If they are free swimming then you should be feeding asap, if you have the intention of raising them. Are there any other fish in the tank that could eat them?

I have no experience with peacock gudgeon fry, so I can't tell you if the parents are expected to eat the fry after they reach a certain size. I know some fish are good parents and will parent their fry for several weeks. I also know that some fish are really bad with their fry and will eat them on sight... You should do some research on your own to see what the peacock gudgeon's parenting habits are.

The closest experience I can relate to your situation is my angelfish breeding setups. I used to feed them freshly ground flakes and pellets, but had horrendous mortality rates. 70% of the fry wouldn't even touch the flakes and pellets. When I switched to Hikari First Bites, my mortality rate plummeted down to ~10%. If read similar experiences throughout other forums. However, this is my experience with angelfish fry, not peacock gudgeons so please take that into consideration. I think Petco/Petsmart should carry the First Bites.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Most stores will take the fish once they get large enough to sell, but if you know a non-chain store they'll probably give you store credit for the babies. You may be able to do that with extra cherry shrimp, too.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
If they are free swimming then you should be feeding asap, if you have the intention of raising them. Are there any other fish in the tank that could eat them?

I have no experience with peacock gudgeon fry, so I can't tell you if the parents are expected to eat the fry after they reach a certain size. I know some fish are good parents and will parent their fry for several weeks. I also know that some fish are really bad with their fry and will eat them on sight... You should do some research on your own to see what the peacock gudgeon's parenting habits are.

The closest experience I can relate to your situation is my angelfish breeding setups. I used to feed them freshly ground flakes and pellets, but had horrendous mortality rates. 70% of the fry wouldn't even touch the flakes and pellets. When I switched to Hikari First Bites, my mortality rate plummeted down to ~10%. If read similar experiences throughout other forums. However, this is my experience with angelfish fry, not peacock gudgeons so please take that into consideration. I think Petco/Petsmart should carry the First Bites.
Normally ,the father remains with the eggs ,fanning them ,then it is said most of the newly hatched babies are eaten by the father.Not in my case ,the fish leave them alone(3 adult gudgeons and 1 oto).Can I continue to raise the fry in the 10 gallon ,along with the crowd?I don't know if I should make more larger\often water changes?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Planted Member

If I were you I'd move the fry into their own separate tank. Less stress on your main tank and you can better concentrate food to them. Sooner or later in the current tank someone is going to want fry snacks. They're like potato chips, you can't eat just one. =D
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
I would buy 3 or 4 if some survive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
I switched to Hikari First Bites, my mortality rate plummeted down to ~10%.
how long do you feed this for? I'm currently feeding some kribensis fry this once a day and they're growing very well. they'd probably do alright with crushed up flake at this point though.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I would say there is pretty good market for Peacock Gudgeons, I'd be willing to even purchase some from you.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanx for the replies guys ,I would give them all to you for free ,but sadly ,I live in Europe.None of my friends is into fishkeeping ,so maybe LFS is my best option.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Algae Grower

Interesting fish, do they hunt down shrimp if they arent amanos?

JAVA MOSS

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
how long do you feed this for? I'm currently feeding some kribensis fry this once a day and they're growing very well. they'd probably do alright with crushed up flake at this point though.
For my angelfish I think I feed them this until they are around the time they start hooding which is ~3 to 4wks. Why don't you try feeding them the crushed flake and see how they respond?

Another non-scientific way I like to check if they're ready for a food switch is if they are getting full from the hikari first bites. If it gets to a point where it takes a substantially large amount of hikari first bites to get their bellys swollen, then it means I gotta switch to a new food. The challenge is finding what the new food is.

I would advise against switching completely to crushed flake because you might have some runts in your group that are growing slowly and can't fit the crushed flake. You might have some oddballs too that won't eat the flakes. Also, flakes from my experience tend to foul up the water faster, but that might just be from the fish not eating it up as readily as the first bites.

My typical progression for angelfish fry are:

- Day 1 of free swimming -> hikari first bites
- Appearance of caudal fins (~4wks) -> hikari first bites + ken's golden pearls (very fine grade) + frozen baby brine shrimp
- Then I think at around ~1.5 months I start experimenting with different foods like crushed pellets, crushed flakes, whole tiny pellets, etc.

The most difficult part I've always had to overcome is getting the fry to the point when they can start eating standard food. Then there are so many different things you can feed them. And if they're happy and healthy, they'll eat anything that can fit in their mouths!

My favorite food to feed my fry when they get large enough are live blackworms. I get almost explosive growth when I feed them those, but I'm not 100% sure how healthy it would be for them as a staple food. I feed a large variety in general to make sure I'm at least somewhat balanced in nutrients and am getting them accustomed to eating different types of food so they're easier to manage.

Hope that helps!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode