might be a really dumb question re Prime... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question might be a really dumb question re Prime...

I apologize for this question because it may be dumb but..when you dose your WC water with Prime it says it detoxifies chlorine, ammonia and heavy metals. My question is more about the heavy metals...since it detoxifies them they become neutral components so to speak but do they remain that way until you add more water for the next WC? I've read that prime is "active" for up to 48 hours. I understand that ammonia is constantly being produced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Prime is mainly used as a dechlorinator for a water change with tap water. You wouldn't want to use it as an ammonia detoxifier, that's what your beneficial bacteria you grow during a cycle is for. You should use the recommended amount of prime in your water at each water change though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have used Prime and have no complaints--except for the hype. I read the labels and most do what I call "fudging" on either the truth or what we really need. Heavy metals? Those are regulated for any public water supply so do I need something to take care of it? Ammonia is taken care of with good filter bacteria. Chlorine or chloramine? Yes. I want a product to take care of that! Active for "up to" 48 hours? Isn't that the same as down to zero in some cases?
Just give me the facts, not the sales hype!
With that in mind, I now use a cheap storefront brand that tells me it takes care of what I need. And it has for several years so I'm happy.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Heavy metals will get bound up, but if you have acidic water, or I should say heavily acidic water it will unbind the metals over time, at least that is my understanding of it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Planted Member

+1 to Planted Rich. Hype is at least 50% if not more of most products in this hobby. Since I don't put Prime in my coffee, I'm sure the heavy metals in my water will kill me any day now. LOL.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Without knowing what the active ingredients in Prime are, it's really impossible to speculate what it does with the heavy metals, or for how long. Better to ignore this aspect of it.

Most heavy metals are beneficial in appropriate quantities. There's no need to detoxify them unless you know you have an excessive amount, in which case I'd set to work trying to eliminate them by never adding them.

As for ammonia, I consider Prime to decay to zero over a 48 hour timespan. For much of the first day, it will probably bind all the ammonia, because it's added in excess. After that, it will start releasing it. Not a concern though, unless you have no biofilter/plants to take up the ammonia. The normal purpose is to bind the initial spike that occurs with a water change, with water containing chloramine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode