55 Gallon Tetra Paradise! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Talking 55 Gallon Tetra Paradise!

I have never had a tank over 20 gallon that I have planted and worked really hard on. (Always just had some big fish in it and made it look nice with plastic plants )

But now I want to build my new tetra paradise!

Here is what I want to do! :

Substrate: Eco-Complete midnight Black- 120ibs.

Hard scape: Various rocks and stones and a nice piece of driftwood

Plants: Three medium to big amazon swords, and idk?!?! Suggestions?

Lighting: 2x 48" Finnex FugeRay Planted +

Fish:
6 Cory Cats (not 100% on the specific type)
8 Hatchets (not 100% on the specific type)
Some Red Cherry Shrimp (I have hundreds so ill take them from another . tank)
50-60 Neon Tetras

Filtration: 55-60 Gallon HOB filter, 20 Gallon internal filter. Will upgrade to canister later on or before I start the tank idk yet.

Heater: 300 Watt Jager Heater (The room is really cold so it has to be a higher wattage to keep up and not burn out)

So what do y'all think? I keep about 4 other tanks than this one and right now it just got some feeders in it keeping it dirty till I buy all my stuff for it.

Is this to many fish? Is it not realistic? DO they not go together? Taking all suggestions! Just want to really go all out on this tank! Its honestly my dream tank and has all the fish I want and even my cherries!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have easily 100 fish, mostly tetras (some barbs and guppies too) -plus cherries, Amanos, and nerites- in a 50 gallon. Everybody is happy and healthy. People on this forum tend to be very (read overly) cautious in their recommended stocking numbers.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL_RIP View Post
.... People on this forum tend to be very (read overly) cautious in their recommended stocking numbers.
I think it's more that in planted tanks, fish are the supporting cast to the plants.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would say its the other way around for me. Fish are the center piece and the plants just the back drop
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topekoms View Post
I would say its the other way around for me. Fish are the center piece and the plants just the back drop
I was referring to the collective membership, of course there are always exceptions.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluuuder View Post
I have never had a tank over 20 gallon that I have planted and worked really hard on. (Always just had some big fish in it and made it look nice with plastic plants )

But now I want to build my new tetra paradise!

Here is what I want to do! :

Substrate: Eco-Complete midnight Black- 120ibs.

Hard scape: Various rocks and stones and a nice piece of driftwood

Plants: Three medium to big amazon swords, and idk?!?! Suggestions?

Lighting: 2x 48" Finnex FugeRay Planted +

Fish:
6 Cory Cats (not 100% on the specific type)
8 Hatchets (not 100% on the specific type)
Some Red Cherry Shrimp (I have hundreds so ill take them from another . tank)
50-60 Neon Tetras

Filtration: 55-60 Gallon HOB filter, 20 Gallon internal filter. Will upgrade to canister later on or before I start the tank idk yet.

Heater: 300 Watt Jager Heater (The room is really cold so it has to be a higher wattage to keep up and not burn out)

So what do y'all think? I keep about 4 other tanks than this one and right now it just got some feeders in it keeping it dirty till I buy all my stuff for it.

Is this to many fish? Is it not realistic? DO they not go together? Taking all suggestions! Just want to really go all out on this tank! Its honestly my dream tank and has all the fish I want and even my cherries!
My 50 is primarily Tetras. I gave up on Neons and Cardinals and added 18 Glow Tetras to my remaining 4 Cardinals. They share the tank with 4 Corys and 2 Otos.

50G Low Tech Planted Tank- Community Fish
120G Low Tech Planted Tank- Community Fish
10G QT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nice tank man! Yeah I just want a huge amount of schooling neon's. I like to have all levels of the aquarium filled with fish such as bottom feeders, mid-range, and top feeders. Then alos a tank isn't a tank without live plants imo. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be to much of a bio load but I do water changes weekly and I dose ferts daily so it makes me do 50% water changes weekly.

Thanks for y'alls replies! I can't wait to start my journal for it!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
It's kind of funny...because plants vs. fish sort of comes full circle when you consider:

If you're a fish-only type of aquarist, and truly want the best for your fish, you will stock them in a heavily planted aquarium for both shelter and bio-filtering reasons. It may only be low-maintenance, slow-growing, low-light plants, but your fish will still reward you with better health and behavior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like your plans in general, but I would consider a wider tank. A 55 gal tank is only about 12 inches front to back, and is 4 feet long. This can make it really hard to aquascape.

A 70 gal tank is 18 inches wide, and has about the same frontal area as a 55. You'll be able to do a much better looking tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode