PPS pro dosing when out of town? Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
PPS pro dosing when out of town? Help

This is the first time I will be unable to have someone cover my dosing schedule when I am out of town. I have a 75 gallon planted tank and dose about 6-7 ml everyday day(micro/macro) using the PPS pro method.Pressurized CO2. I am wondering what i should do since I will be out of town for 4 straight days. I normally do a 50% water change weekly anyways. Should I give it one big dose for the four days or just lower the hours of my lights per day? I have 1 48" ray 2 and a 48" monster ray. Maybe, just leave the monsteray on just by itself for the 4 days? Trying to avoid coming back to an ugly tank. Any ideas or recommendations wouldClick image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	250081 be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would not worry about ferts for 4 days and just leave the lighting schedule on its normal time.
But will let some pros chime in.

Beautiful tank and well stocked too.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I will be watching this one to see what is recommended. I am new and don't know Jack but from what I've read is that things go South when things get out of balance. I would think that for 4 days I'd not dose ferts and keep the lights off and keep CO2 as usual.

My tank journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was originally thinking that I would dose 3 days all at once right before I go and leave the lights and co2 alone. Then when I get back just do a 50% water change and hope that smooths things back out. Just didn't know if this would cause a big algae break out. your guys comments on no lights or just no ferts is an option, just thought there might be a way to keep things as normal as possible and growing at the same time..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Again, I don't know what I'm talking about yet but the way I look at it is that the sun doesn't shine every day. So it would be cloudy for a few days.

I dose PPS PRO and love it. I don't think that doing a triple dose would work the way your thinking. Tripling the dose would just give the plants and algae triple the nutrients.

The way I envision it is that if everything is in balance, ferts, CO2 and lighting, algae can't grow but if there is one thing in excess, then algae can take over.

My tank journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a follow up. For anyone interested.I ended up giving my 75g tank a 3 day dose of ferts before I left out of town for 4 days. I left everything else the same. When I got home all the fish and plants where fine. The only issue was that my aquatek regulator changed output and had a very slow bubble count. So I'm assuming my co2 was pretty low most of the 4 days. Anyway this ended up working for me. Needless to say I now have a GLA ultimate co2 regulator on the way, hopefully that will be more stable.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good to hear that all is well. Sometimes I think we might be worrying about nothing.

Good luck with your new regulator.

thanks for the update.

My tank journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode