Led light opinion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (1/100%)
Led light opinion

I have a 90 gallon bowfront 48" long. It is strictly rock work housing Mbuna cichlids. My goal is to grow thick green algae on the rocks. Tank is 24" deep. My budget is $400. What would be bet light to do this? The last image is what I want my rocks to look like with algae on them. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Would love some input.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hmmm. I think you should give BuildmyLed a try. I think they can help you with that. They should be able to make a powerful fixture for you that can be dimmed if necessary.

Other than that, I'm not sure, Maybe, a 4-6 bulb T5HO?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
A 48" Finnex Ray II would be 50 PAR at 24" deep - plenty to grow all the algae you want. It's on sale right now for $168 with free shipping.

You would have plenty left over to add a 48" Monster Ray if you wanted to color things up ($156 shipped, Amazon - lot of others on the board with this same setup) and still be under budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PS: I see you are in Texas - if you want to jump start that algae just leave the rocks out in the sun in a tub of water.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Would I want to finnex ray aquarium/actinic or just the daylight finnex ray 2?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

The Daylight - Actinic is that intense blue color the reel guys need to fluoresce their corals.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ordered the ray 2 double 7k and monster ray.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

So I got my finnex lights and the monster ray came in a box saying fuge ray. I am not sure if I got the right light or not. When I turned it on, the light produced a very red/orange color in my tank. Is this what the monster ray should look like?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yep! That's the monster ray. If you have them both on together you should get a nice look.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode