Fungus on wood in conjunction with fish disease - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fungus on wood in conjunction with fish disease

So I recently rescaped my tank with the addition of some gnarled manzanita and it started to develop the white fungus looking stuff on it surface. Thought nothing of it from reading other accounts where they say its harmless and shrimp / snail will eat it and it will go away in a couple hours. Shortly after this though I noticed 3 of my boeseman's rainbow had developed white tufts above their mouths that looked like mustaches. This was on Sat and the fish do not appear to be in distress and are eating normally. I added aquarium salt and melafix to the water. It doesn't look like it has gotten any worse since then but not better either. My water parameters are normal 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrites ~5ppm Nitrates.

I am really hoping it isn't columnaris but no deaths so far and none of the other fish are showing symptoms. I read somewhere that one of the columnaris strains can appear as white tufts on the surface of things in the aquarium. I am thinking I am going to add more salt and maybe do a salt dip on effected fish. Anything else I should do?

Would pimafix help if it's fungal?

Should I use H2O2 on the white patches on the driftwood, or in the whole tank?

Thanks, Any help would be most appreciated!

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Since I never know which disease I'm looking at, I go for both Pima and Mela as they are both safe and cheap to use. Instructions do say they can be used together.

Since there is a bit of question about whether there is a connection between the growth on the wood and the fish, I would pull the wood and do a bleach soak. Simple cheap and easy, just to remove the question. Just as I wash my plate before I eat, I do a bleach soak on almost everything that goes in the tank if I have any doubt at all. I find it removes any doubt so that if something does go off normal, I know it is not from something on the new item.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Uhg that might be a problem considering the driftwood is attached to eggcrate under the substrate. I order to remove I would have to uproot all plants and take out all the substrate.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Whoops! Bad idea! My bad.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No worries. Have you used pima and mela? Do they work. I read some reviews and they were all good but when I researched columnaris it said they wouldn't work. I was using mela since it is all natural and didn't want to use anything that isn't necessary and cause more problems.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I admit it! I can't tell a fungus from bacteria if they look alike. That often leaves me out in the cold when I do have a disease so I've learned to work really hard on not having disease. But it slips in once in a while. Since I have never found much that actually works well and without more expense that the fish, I had stopped buying medicine until Melafix and Pimafix came along. They now are the two meds I stock routinely. They normally work and at a price that makes it worth using. When it doesn't, at least I have cut my losses short and not bought a tub full of junk that might not work either.
I also have moved to fish who are bigger, stronger and don't drop dead overnight if I treat them right. More expensive fish who don't die , works for me.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah that's where I'm at. Not sure what it is and don't want to make it worse with some medication that doesn't work. Found some posts where people had similar problems but didn't fallow up after the fact to know if what they did worked.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My last experience with using them was for what I assume was bloat. It is a pretty common thing in African cichlids and I had seen it a number of times so went to work treating right away. Treated for 7 days, did the water change and went about the second round of seven days even though all symptoms seemed much better. The fish was in a ten and he had stopped hiding, was eating and staying out as his type should and I had considered putting him back in the main tank.
Then he died overnight???
That kind of fits much of my experience with meds.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is mouth fungus;

40B Cold water planted

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not quite that bad it honestly looked like my rainbows had a white mustache. But a quick update on day 3 all but one no longer have it on them. The one that still does was the worst off to start and also looked liked its fins had eroded away slightly as well. Not sure if it was the salt or melafix but I am now a fan of the melafix! Plan on continuing the treatment till at least day 7.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Male boesmani rainbowa display a white mustache when they are courting. The lady boesmani rainbows think it makes them look distinguished.

This similair how in some human cultures a black mustache is more appealing to the ladies.

They will normally act all amorous in the morning after the lights go on.

In contrast for these humans, it is normally late at night after several alcoholic drinks.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

V that actually makes too much sense.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Fungus is a secondary infection from other infections like bacterial.

Water changes and antibiotics should work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode