Pls help identify this creepy alien organism in my tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pls help identify this creepy alien organism in my tank!

At first I thought it is some weird algae and I didn't bother about it, after a few days, i realised it MOVES from one spot to another! seriously this is very creepy, I have no idea where is this guy from and what does it plan to do in my tank. Pls advice big brothers and sisters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-22 16.35.16.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	249977  

Name:	2013-12-23 19.01.07.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	249985  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
It's a slime mold.

Enjoy it! They're fascinating, and it's quite rare to have one thrive in an aquarium. You might Google up some info and videos to learn more about them. They can do some neat things, like solve mazes, even though they have no brain or nervous system.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
one of natures great mysteries. some react to light, and I remember seeing this video where ppl hook some type of receiver or something to them and recorded the electric pulses they give off. the fascinating part is that its so rhythmic a lot of the time that so people call it slime music
this one I really like was over 9 days and speed the recording up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F79D_YWXycI

if you were trying to take care of it and keep it alive or w.e then I would try to get it to transfer to something else like a smaller piece of wood or a rock then put it in its own home where you can give it conditions better suited to it
idk much about how they live or grow though so it might be just fine in your tank :P either way thats an amazing find if it really is a type of physarum
I am curious did it like, grow in your tank or was it already attached to something that you added, then you just randomly noticed that it moves?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pod people !!!!

Whatever you do don't fall asleep !!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras View Post
one of natures great mysteries. some react to light, and I remember seeing this video where ppl hook some type of receiver or something to them and recorded the electric pulses they give off. the fascinating part is that its so rhythmic a lot of the time that so people call it slime music
this one I really like was over 9 days and speed the recording up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F79D_YWXycI

if you were trying to take care of it and keep it alive or w.e then I would try to get it to transfer to something else like a smaller piece of wood or a rock then put it in its own home where you can give it conditions better suited to it
idk much about how they live or grow though so it might be just fine in your tank :P either way thats an amazing find if it really is a type of physarum
I am curious did it like, grow in your tank or was it already attached to something that you added, then you just randomly noticed that it moves?
i have no idea where it came from, i just started my tank last week and spotted this guy few days ago on the driftwood, i rem i scrubbed the driftwood quite thoroughly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
It's a slime mold.

Enjoy it! They're fascinating, and it's quite rare to have one thrive in an aquarium. You might Google up some info and videos to learn more about them. They can do some neat things, like solve mazes, even though they have no brain or nervous system.
will it harm my fauna or flora?? its honestly quite creepy to look at

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-23-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The ones here in Oregon, yellow and orange slime mold live off of decaying wood so I don't think it would hurt anything else. I typically find them in old burned areas.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyanden View Post
i have no idea where it came from, i just started my tank last week and spotted this guy few days ago on the driftwood, i rem i scrubbed the driftwood quite thoroughly
Got to boil it or or give it a bleach dip. Scrubbing just gets the dirt off.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I just saw the same thing in my tank. Thanks for asking. Now I know what it is. It really does look kind of creepy. Mine's on the front glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK club #117
12 gallon rimless club -
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Slime molds are awesome and while I wouldn't hesitate to adopt a terrestrial one as a pet, the aquatic versions tend to be far more problematic. Parasitic and, if the wrong variety, highly dangerous to your fish.

FYI: water molds, also known as oomycetes, include that most famous of molds Phytophthora infestans, better known as the cause of the great Irish potato famine.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's pretty awesome.

I didn't know there were aquatic slimemolds, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Really interesting and strange organisms. I've run across terrestrial ones now and then as a kid, and I've heard of people keeping them as 'pets', but never managed it myself.

I don't think there would be much of an issue, as other people have said, it's probably just decomposing wood and dead plant matter. The ones I've seen also seem to run through their life cycle fairly quickly, so I'd be surprised if it lasts more then a few days or so.

Please post more pics.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
What a strange being... never knew they existed. cool!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuhuman View Post
What a strange being... never knew they existed. cool!
best part is it is actually thousands to millions of little beings working and thinking together to act as one large being
just another part of the great mystery..imo the title couldn't be more correct, it's got to be an alien. O.O
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

some update.. now they are all over my driftwood

also i realised there are small white organisms moving on my driftwood, anyone knows what are those??

http://youtu.be/025tzy7QOiQ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-12-23 19.01.07.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	250169  

Name:	2013-12-24 17.40.16.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	250177  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-24-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:42 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iyanden View Post
also i realised there are small white organisms moving on my driftwood, anyone knows what are those??

http://youtu.be/025tzy7QOiQ
Those appear to be seed shrimp.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 06:56 AM
Planted Member

This is quite cool, been you tubing slime mold now!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode