Something thats been buggering me about my co2. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Okay, So I used a 2bottle litre with 2cups sugar / 1 and half teaspoon yeast. I got a nice good flow going for like week and a half then some reason it stops for a while then go's again...

I thought it was gone..

So i made a new one with 2 cups sugar / half teaspoon of yeast.
It took much longer to start producing but when it started it started smooth too then a few hours or half a day later, it stops and gos again.. Like stops for 30secs then gos for 30sec...

Anyone know why? Could it have to do with aircon? its summer here in aus and need to use aircon, i turn aircon on when needed and off a few times a day when its too cold.

Dunno what my problem is.. If i shake the bottle, it starts giving out bubbles again but in such crazy number then slows down to normal rate thne after a while it blanks out then comes on and off again.

Anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If it slows down and then speeds back up, it could have very well to do with your AC. How cold does it get in the house? Those mixes can slow down considerably if it gets below 65F.

Although this won't be stopping and restarting it every 30 seconds! Not sure about that one. Is there any restriction on the outflow? Or is the tubing open, and the bubbles bubble into something having the same size as the tubing? Things I would check would be 1) Leaks 2) Length of the tubing (make as short as possible) 3) Fill the bottles up to the point where they get narrower (to minimize the airspace above them).

It is normal that they temporarily increase production when you shake them up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 02:27 PM

Are you using an airstone in the tank? As the airstone plugs up with yeast snot, the pressure in the generator has to build up enough to overcome it and flow.

Also, check for leaks as Wasserpest said.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonapersona
Are you using an airstone in the tank? As the airstone plugs up with yeast snot, the pressure in the generator has to build up enough to overcome it and flow.

Also, check for leaks as Wasserpest said.
"yeast snot" Thank god I wasn't drinking anything at the moment I read that or it would have been all over my monitor!

George

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 07:12 PM

We post to entertain you!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

This is my setup...

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 03:00 PM

Maybe that check valve? Maybe the pressure rating on it is a little too high and pressure must build up behind it (They were designed for air pumps), once the pressure limit is broken it allows gas to pass through until the pressure gives up and starts the process over. I don't think it's a problem. Maybe test this theory by taking it out for a day.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If your fabulous drawing is anywhere close to scale, I would reduce the length of the air tubing and see if that improves things.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

Don't take that valve out though! Or try a different one.

Is your bottle at tank level? If you have it under your tank, you may find that it takes more pressure to get the CO2 up from the lower level.

12 tanks
125, 20L, 2 29H, 4 10, 3 55, 1 40
All planted. 125, 40, and 2 55 very fancy goldys
55, 29, 2 10's tropicals and livebearers
2 10's guppies
20L, 29 high light, soil, DIY CO2, high planted, tropicals, Angels, loaches, gouramis, barbs etc.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 07:05 PM

Why not? I don't use a check valve on my co2, if the tubing and chamber are air tight there is no way water could flow backwards in to your yeast/sugar solution, the only time it would flow back is if you unhook it from the chamber and somehow begin a syphon. I still think just taking it out for a day, and even put the chamber on top of your lights if you are still worried about water flowing back.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 09:03 PM

I found that the plastic check valve failed anyhow, probably due to water vapor and carbon dioxide making carbonic acid, just guessing.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Okay what i did was shorted then tubing and shook the bottle, it frizzes alot bubble go up like crazy then slows down and complelty stops,

trying add some more yeast and what i notice was the lid didnt screw tight on like when i set it up, it screws to a hard point then makes a noise and u start screwing lid again. I screwed it till hard point then sqeezed and could hear air coming from the side i think.

I ran out of 2 liter bottles, so now im using a 1.25 coke bottle, with cup sugar and a half with half a teaspoon of yeast filled with water till the bottle narrows.

Started to play with the tubing when i shook the bottle around to mix contents, so i thought it be okay still but guess not, so 4 hours later got a new bottle cap, put it on, upside down sqeeeze no leak, put in the tubing, still no leak... so now lid is on and notice bottle starts to get a bit hard every 15min im checking it. Hoping it will start giving out some bubbles soon.

Ive also used another little 500-700ml bottle to seperate the solids from the co2. I notice that blowing to the bottle and seeing ur air come out the ladder takes more hard work then just blowing to the tube directly... hmmmm.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 11:25 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
My thoughts....

Weak yeast batch ( it happens ) and temperature.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

It couldnt be weak because the batch of yeast i used is from my dads bakery, it gave out some strong 2bubble/sec on the last 2 ltr bottle for like 2 weeks.. now the last 2-3 bottbles over 3 days seem to be having some trouble..

so its either came down to:

*Yeast got stale or something in shachet the cupboard
*Tube flow somewhere
*temperture

This sucks, I hate co2 now
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Okay, the bubbles came on like 6 of them then went out for a wihle then came on random times...

What I did was add a full teaspoon of yeast shook hard and hour later surely enough it started to pump some steady bubbles, it gos out for like 30secs then gos on for 15mins.

With the nutrafin bubble ladder, how fast is the bubble from bottom to top be? mine comes out and takes 20sec to reach top, in which the bubble is like 30% of its original size now then finish the ladder and pops up on the surface.

I think it must be the checkvale, not using one would be asking for some trouble.. hmm.. anyone else use checkvale and had any problem like me??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode