Dwarf hair grass planting question.. Quick - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf hair grass planting question.. Quick

Just got my plants and my dhg mat and baby tears are in steel mesh.. I want a carpet so do I take it out of the mesh???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian14 View Post
Just got my plants and my dhg mat and baby tears are in steel mesh.. I want a carpet so do I take it out of the mesh???
You can but I'd just place it on top of the substrate and wait for it to root. Less of a hassle. Either way would work
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will it grow outside of the mesh and still spread that way?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is it just inside of a mesh, or is it a mesh on too of a coconut fiber pad? Mine came with a wire mesh over the DHG that was rooted into and around a fiver pad.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It just looks like a steel mesh all around it. Got it from aquarium plants central
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	249425  

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Here it is
I don't see any wire mesh, maybe coconut fiber. I could be wrong
But that's a lot of "DHG", though doesn't look like any of the dwarf variant, could be just regular hairgrass.

What I would do is split it into smaller portions, and plant it that way. It will encourage faster growth.

Here's an educational video that should help
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There's definitely steel mesh around it so rather than trying to get it apart I just planted them like that. I'll put up pictures when the tank clears up. Couldn't it just been a healthy mat of dhg that has not been trimed? Or do you think its regular hair grass. I'd say its 3-4 inches tall at the most
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If it were me I would take the time to pull it all apart into small clumps and plant them in an alternating pattern to basically plant a small "carpet". Keep in mind, that's emersed DHG and it will melt away to be replaced by vibrant green DHG at the base of the plugs. The best thing to do I've found is leave it as long as possible, let it root and start growing, and then trim the old DHG down a tad. Mines been in probably 3-4 weeks now and I'm just about to trim the rest of the old grass.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

gotcha, thanks
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dwarf hair grass planting question.. Quick

Quote:
gotcha, thanks
Considering I posted this after having it written for a couple hours, that may is definitely a variant of DHG, but in its emersed form. You can tell due to the darker color, the straight leaves, and the seed pods on the top of the plants. Mine was about the same size when I first got it.

Here it is after a month or so, I have half trimmed the old stuff, but if ya look hard you can see the dark green strands, and the bright green are the new ones coming in. Don't mind the mess, it got sloshed around while moving.

I started with a 3x5 mat and basically carpeted the area with emersed DHG. With plugs about 1/2" apart and alternating in the rows.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstewart5 View Post
If it were me I would take the time to pull it all apart into small clumps and plant them in an alternating pattern to basically plant a small "carpet". Keep in mind, that's emersed DHG and it will melt away to be replaced by vibrant green DHG at the base of the plugs. The best thing to do I've found is leave it as long as possible, let it root and start growing, and then trim the old DHG down a tad. Mines been in probably 3-4 weeks now and I'm just about to trim the rest of the old grass.
+1

You have an enormous amount of dhg. For the foreground in my 2ft tank I started with a potion 2x the size of your thumb nail.

About a month ago I transplanted dhg from the 2ft tank to another. I made small plugs (6-10 strands) with good roots. I then trimmed the top right down and planted them level with the aquasoil. Trim before you pant. The result is no die back and lush new growth 4 weeks later. I do the same with hc too.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
+1

You have an enormous amount of dhg. For the foreground in my 2ft tank I started with a potion 2x the size of your thumb nail.

About a month ago I transplanted dhg from the 2ft tank to another. I made small plugs (6-10 strands) with good roots. I then trimmed the top right down and planted them level with the aquasoil. Trim before you pant. The result is no die back and lush new growth 4 weeks later. I do the same with hc too.
How short should I trim it?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just to state my opposite opinion, I wouldn't trim it. I've tried 3 times to get a carpet, twice with the petsmart package, and once with the mat. And I trimmed the petsmart package and could never get it to stay in the gravel. Leaving it long with a trim later has worked for me perfectly.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

could be planting into gavel with trimmed dhg makes for a difficult job.

if you decide to trim, just leave 1cm of green. 1cm of green + roots should be easy enough to plant.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode