Why This Hobby is Awesome - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Why This Hobby is Awesome

My co-worker asked me why I like "fish" so much the other day (I only have a shrimp tank at work - she just calls everything aquarium related - fish. She's dumb)

I have been in the hobby for over a decade and ventured from planted to reef and everything in between. So without skipping a beat I gave her an answer off the fly that only after I've said it, realized what an awesome hobby this is, so I want to share it with you.

The aquarium hobby is one of the few hobbies you can have that touches almost all major fields of the scientific community (by no means expert, but you have to have a basic understanding of the fundamentals - especially if you DIY). Here's a list of "fields" I've touch on in my 10 years in the hobby
- Biology
- Botany
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Electrical
- Mechanical
- Geology
- Genetics
- Controlled experiments
- Not really a science but Carpentry

On top of all that, this is one of the few instances where I get to play God. I provide literally EVERYTHING the beings living in my tank to survive. EVERYTHING. You can't do that with a dog.

She did't get it. She's dumb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt member #140
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Definitely agree! There might be even more to add to that list. Especially if you expand into the artistic aspects.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
- Physics
Curious how this comes into play.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
Mostly classical physics - Building overflows/sumps require a basic understanding of Gravity. Placing powerheads properly in reef tanks needs fluid dynamics to achieve true chaos flow pattern. Also when dealing with light intensity, wave length, reflectors, etc. - optics is considered a sub field of physics.

Fraternity of Dirt member #140
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
CO2 offgassing due to surface agitation. Delivering CO2 effectively to leaves across the Prandtl boundary. Setting up optimal flow patterns. Choosing filter media to provide good mechanical filtration without clogging too quickly. Bet others can think of more.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I like animal keeping in general, but specifically what makes fish different, is that it is far more feasible to make a little environment. You can re-create nature, or you can mix and match things that naturally wouldn't meet to create something artistic.

Some people might compare this to keeping reptiles, but you can interact with reptiles and you don't really co-hab them the way you do aquarium things. Finches I guess are similar but even them, most finches are the same body shape wise and I don't think people make ecosystems so much as just communities in a non-organic enclosure.

Also, I challenge someone to get the kind of colors and shapes we find in the aquarium hobby in any other living creature.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Not science but you could also add:

- Art
- Structural analysis (arranging that aquascape)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I like the artistic aspect of "fish" tanks. (Aquariums)

I also like the fact that the entire environment is compact and self contained.
Shut-ins, children, old folks can all enjoy the beauty of a tank without too much muss and fuss-or exercise.

I have had all sorts of animals, wild and domesticated. Emus, peacocks, snakes, horse, pygmy goats, etc.
Groomed and interacted with wolves, and even young jaguars at a zoo.
Aquariums by far are just as entertaining without hands on. (well, some of my fish do like being petted)

As far as living things go, you are right, the color can't be beat. I knew someone who had a greenhouse and raised passion flowers-that came close, but no cigar
-Stef*
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's "SimCity"!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:33 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
You can also add in psychiatry. For me, aquariums can be a fantastic stress reliever. I can't tell you how many days I've come home from a super stressful day, sat down in front of the aquarium for 5-10 min and felt 100% better.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

LOL, this list is fun. Add colorimetry. And feng shui.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why This Hobby is Awesome

It also touches on the spiritual. Not necessarily my tank but there are alot of "Zen" type aquascapes out there, sort of like thelub stated, you could lose yourself in the tank. The cohesive sounds of water, the movement of the plants, fish etc. Yeah, definitely spiritual too.

Eheim Pimp #533

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode