Need help selecting a canister filter and inline reactor. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help selecting a canister filter and inline reactor.

I have my 25T running and all is well. I just want to streamline it a bit and get something quieter. My powerhead is currently churning up my co2 and blowing it around the tank but it's not very pretty in the tank. My HOB that has been working fine is also unsightly and loud. I was thinking of going with a 2234 Eheim filter http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo . I just don't know what to do about dissolving my co2. Should I run the tube straight into the intake and let the pump dissolve it? I don't want a DIY if I go with a reactor. I want something made specifically to hook up to the outlet line on the canister. Thanks for the help.

Recent pic of tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks really nice I have that red plant in the middle back ground grew from a bulb surprised how big its getting.
Been super happy with my Fluvial canister, super quiet and adjustable flow .almost bought the Eheim your looking at it gets good reviews did a lot of research on that one.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The 2234 Eheim filter would work fine.

As far as a reactor goes wether it be DIY or something you buy already made they will both connect the exact same way. You just cut your return line in half and put the reactor in between the two lines. So mainly depends on how much you want to spend or save. Most recommend a Rex Griggs DIY reactor or you can look into an Aquamedic reactor. Like I said they will both connect the same way regardless which route you go with.

Another option is an inline diffuser which will connect the same way as the reactors. You will still get micro bubbles but not as many as you get now. If you want hardly any micro bubbles then go with the reactor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Algae Grower

I have a 65 gallon planted with a eheim 2217 canister. I recently purchased the automatic co2 system from Aquariumplants.com. I love it. I love it. Did I say I love it. it keeps everything right where I set it, totally automatic. It comes with the reactor that attaches to the canister very easily. I installed the whole thing in less than a hour. They were great on the phone with me the anytime I had a question. This is sounding like a commercial for them but I really like the system.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. If I go with the Eheim and plan an inline reactor do I need to know anything about size or capacity? Are reactors 'one size fits all'?

Pic from today after thorough cleaning.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanyt View Post
Are reactors 'one size fits all'?
For a simple answer yes.

Most filters use 5/8" ID tubing and generally depending on what reactor you get it will have barb fittings that will accept 1/2" ID and 5/8". 5/8" tubing on a 1/2" barb would be a tight fit but that isn't a bad thing since it will be a snug fit. You can just heat up the tube and it will slide right on. If you go DIY with a Rex Griggs reactor you can put any size barb you need to match your tubing which is the luxury you have going DIY.

So just pick any filter you want to use. The reactors are really versatile when it comes to hooking them up.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
DIY reactors are great but if you don't feel like gathering parts and building one I recommend the Ista Max Mix. I just swapped out my inline diffuser for one. Much happier with the Max Mix. My tank doesn't look like a snow globe anymore. They're cheap, the small one cost me $15.00 shipped.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Looking at the Mix Max. Strange, looks like more than one company makes a reactor by that name. Any recommendations on which to go with for a 25gal with Ehiem 2234 and do I need any other plumbing?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just ordered the filter.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I saw one from the UK that looks exactly the same, different brand name and it comes with a spraybar.

I believe the Eheim 2234 has the 12/16 tubing, same tubing size as a 2215. The smaller Max Mix would be a good match.
No other plumbing needed. The tubing fits very snug, I dipped the ends in some hot water for a minute to soften up the hose so it was easier to slip on. I also added some hose clamps for extra security. It comes with suction cups but I mounted mine under the cabinet with a couple of tie wrap mounts.

TIP: Some people think the bottom rotor is supposed to spin so they take it apart and sand down the edges until it spins. The bottom rotor is NOT supposed to spin. It is a stabilizer for the center tube. Only the top 2 rotors are supposed to spin.

Here's a quick pic of mine hooked up to a 2215. I'm using this on a 20long.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome. I ordered the medium reactor as well. Cant wait to get it installed and get that HOB and powerhead out of my tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode