Oceanic tank hood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Clownknife Send a message via Yahoo to Clownknife
I have a Oceanic tank with the glass hood and one side broke during the move of our house. I have searched the oceanic sites and can't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

I found on this site a DIY canopy. I was going to use it but with the limited space above the tank I dont think it will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
When my glass covers broke (30" wide) I went to the glass shop and they cut me some 1/4 glass, $16.

Before I asked at the LFS, and a guy told me they didn't have any, but they run around $100. Nuts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What did you hinge the front with?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Are these real?

I could have used the hinge that I had... did yours break too?

But, I never liked the hinge thingy. Now I have the front part overlapping the back part (just a tiny little bit) and when I need access, I just push the front glass backwards on top of the rear glass. Or take it out completely. Easier than using the hinge.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 12:31 AM

my lfs sells the hinge material by the foot. It's cheap.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Your LFS's are the best in CA. I know I grew up in Los Angeles. But now I am in DE and these people are behind the times here. Petsmart is about as good as it gets here.

Ya both of the hindges on the hoods broke but on one the glass broke to. I think I will use the 1/4" glass idea. How much room did you use at the back to get your plumbing in?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Are these real?

Uhm, that's one of my yet to be completed projects

I had the glass guy cut off a corner that I thought would be sufficient (1.75" from the corner), but alas, it's not. I guess it depends on the plumbing of your tank. I need to get other filter overflows, or cut off a little more.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I always take those hinges off too. They block some light. :lol:

George

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode