Large, plant friendly fish for 150 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Large, plant friendly fish for 150

My 150 is in need of a make over. It is in a part of the house where it's mostly viewed from a distance so, larger fish work better in it. Problem is, that the family likes it planted. Any suggestions for large fish that don't destroy everything. Been keeping cichlids in it. The picture is old but you should get the idea. THanx.

!A

130 Gal Acrylic cichlid,125 Oceanic planted, 58 Oceanic planted/cichlid. 500 timbers holding pond, 180 GF pond, 60 horse trough grow out tank. Front porch garden pond (130 overflow), Whiskey barrel water garden, Puddles when it rains.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like large fish and cichlids are my fav. It is a challenge at times to choose as they are large and just rushing around can rule out some of the tall tender plants. So it does take some compromise. I ruled out the algae eating group as too prone to eating the plants. then I looked at who was least likely to dig. Mbuna who love rocks are sure to dig under, so I cut them. Then there are those who are not technically mbuna but act the same. Electric blue for example act like mbuna when around rocks.
Open water, bug eaters work for me. For me, I like blue fish so the Protomelas (insignus)are one large fish that work for me. Add copodichromis azureus to the list for a smaller blue fish.
I wound up with a combo that works for what I like but still do small enough damage that I am okay with them. I settle for fish I like with plants that survive, Keep a fair amount of algae and no small tender plants. Some plants need to stay in pots behind rocks and rotate in and out as they work or not. Swords, crypts and red tiger lotus for plants.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 12-19-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: add fish
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why not try a really big school of Congo tetra.

It takes them awhile to get full size, but if you can find good stock its worth the wait.

Males get about 3.5 inches so are on the bigger size where tetras are concerned, but still allow for a large school. Add that they are pretty active and a school of 20 or so looks awesome even from a distance.

Mine do like to eat duckweed, but I have them in a fully planted and can say they leave most all plants alone except a rare few. Who cares about duckweed anyways?

Congos also do best in a lower light, so a low tech set up would be perfect for them.

Of course angels would work great as well, and those blue cichlids planted rich mentioned are beautiful.

125 journal

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Discus.

Or Rainbowfish, Rose Line Sharks, Clown Loach, etc.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
There are some awesome looking gouramis out there.

Oh, and angelfish. Gotta mention angelfish. I personally have never had a problem with them and plants.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Always wanted to try congos. Great ideas, thanx guys.

130 Gal Acrylic cichlid,125 Oceanic planted, 58 Oceanic planted/cichlid. 500 timbers holding pond, 180 GF pond, 60 horse trough grow out tank. Front porch garden pond (130 overflow), Whiskey barrel water garden, Puddles when it rains.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Check out Denison Barbs aka Red line torpedo barbs..Get to be almost 6" , very active and plant safe. Not cheap, but worth it!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Discus.

Agree on this. Boesmani's, clowns, and rose lines all sound like good choices. Clowns get quite large and look awesome, so that's a perfect fit.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I had Congo tetras, Denison barbs and Rummynose tetras in my 125. Everyone got along, was very active and lots of fun to watch.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorworm View Post
Check out Denison Barbs aka Red line torpedo barbs..Get to be almost 6" , very active and plant safe. Not cheap, but worth it!
Yea just found those at Fintique and got 5 for my 58. Gonna get some more. Didn't know they got so big. Good news. Thanx

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You could try giant danios. Maximum size seems to vary between 4" and 6", possibly depending on original habitat, and they're peaceful, if very very active. These things are hyper!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Discus.

where is a good place to get them?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Algae Grower

Blue acara get decent size and at least in my experience care nothing about destroying plants. Mine has actually calmed my 75 and weirdly enough acts as a referee between squabbles. Not to be confused with green terrors!

75 gal, 1 gold & 1 green severum, blue acara, mating kribs, bolivian rams.
29 gal planted, 1 festivum, 1 bristlenose, emerald cories.
29 gal planted, 1 rainbow cichlid, 1 pearl gourami, 1 bristlenose, mystery snails, emerald cories.
10 gal boblitis\java fern nursery.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode