Replanting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 75 gallon tank has been running for almost 4 months. The tank is very heavily planted. Everything is going fine, the hair algae dissapeared a few weeks ago and I have a regimen of adding N,P,K, Flourish, and Iron. I wanted to remove some plants and add some others, as well as cut the top halves of some stem plants, remove the bottom portion and replant the tops. Will this cause am algae outbreak in disturbing the substrate? Are there "guidlines" for soing this as well as should I only do a small amount of replanting at a time. Do I do a big water change right after>
I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Please describe your substrate in detail...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 04:05 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Why do you want to remove the bottom part of the stem plants? If they rooted they will grow new tops when you trim them. You can plant the tops next to the bottoms and double your plants.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

I'll answer both posts.

My substrate is 4" of Flourite with heating cables.

I wanted to remove the bottoms because a lot of the plants have no leaves on the bottom half and leaves on the top. Every time I trim the plants everything remains this way. The reason why I can't plant the tops next to the bottoms is because I have no room. I did do what you suggested in the past and the tank is packed. The fish have to wait inline to pass. LOL.

Thanks,
Ken
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I wouldn't expect any algae outbreaks... there might be some flourite dust hanging in the water for a while, but unless you pull Jobes sticks etc out of your substrate, shouldn't be causing any algae problems.

I used loam in my substrate, which makes replanting a little more difficult, especially if it involves large swords:

But a little DE filtration fixed that in about an hour.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I don't have Jobe stakes but I did use Flourish Tabs in December. I'm only worried about algae and not cloudiness. I have a diatom filter I can use if I need to. It can clear the water in no time.

Ken
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
It should be no problems at all in regards to an algae outbreak. I replant my tanks pretty often (due to the fact that the bottom areas become barren due to being shaded) and just use the tops. Haven't had any problems with it yet with the fluorite that I've been running.

Eric

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Its been my experience, that when the tank is running good and eating its nutrients daily, when up-rooting plants and planting clippings from the top, that it will throw the eco-system out of balance a bit if you do to much, and cause a bit of an algae outbreak, has happened to me a couple times, its all a matter of balance, in more ways than one.

keeping water perims in check at all times is key to a successful tank.

Every tank is diferent, but basically the same.. eh

I also use all the flourish products, including flourite.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have never encountered a problem doing exactly what you are doing Ken.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ken
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I suspect that if you have no leaves on the lower portion (or very few) and you say that you cannot replant the tops (trimmings) because you have no room... that the new tops will also lose thier leaves.. I think the leaf loss is due to lack of light getting down to that part of the plant due to shade etc... ?

Just a thought.

Another Flaming Toy I Cannot Afford!

Pimp Member # 112

---
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 12:08 AM

I'm doing a replanting job right now, my tank was so bad all my fish were in one part of my tank. I've been into planted tanks for about 8 years now and you have to go throught your tank once in awile or it gets out of hand on you,as for the algae never happened to me.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

You have to go throught your tank once in awile or it gets out of hand on you.
===============================================

Your not kidding. It's like that saying "Watch out or you'll get what you wished for". When I set up my 75 gallon tank 4 months ago, I wanted to have lots of light and CO2 so I can grow anything. Then I tried to get into a rthymn of dosing fertilizer. So now the tank looks good, the hair algae is gone BUT the tank always needs tending to. The plants grow like crazy and the pruining is pain sometimes. I'm trying to figure out if I can go on vacation for a week this summer.

Ken

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode