What GPH circulation pump should I get? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
What GPH circulation pump should I get?

Hi folks.

I have a 29 gallon with a Fluval 304 using a spray bar and it's just not providing much water movement in the tank. I like to know what size circulation pump I should get without creating too much turbulence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
You might just try ditching the spraybar and using a "normal" single return. Grab a jet pipe if you can find one or you could just make one out of elbows and tubing or pvc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Agreed on ditching the spray bar. You can also use a nano circulation pump.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7g Cube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think I have a jet pipe for that filter laying around somewhere in the attic. I will check and give that a try.

If needed, you think the Hydor Koralia Nano 240 would be the one to get? Is it enough movement without causing to much circulation for fish?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilthyMcnasty View Post
I think I have a jet pipe for that filter laying around somewhere in the attic. I will check and give that a try.

If needed, you think the Hydor Koralia Nano 240 would be the one to get? Is it enough movement without causing to much circulation for fish?
I wouldn't ditch the the spray bar and I won't go into details as to why now.

The nano pump would be way to small for a 29 Gallon.

Look into the Hydor Koralia Evolution 660 GPH. You will only need one though and it will be perfect for that size.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the nano 240 I have in my 55gal is more than enough.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wouldn't even know you could tell that it would be on in a 55G. My daughter runs 2 in her 30G Nano and it is perfect and subtle and you can barely tell they are on. I had two of the 600 in my 55G and it was perfect agitation and circulation through out the entire tank and subtle. I don't think the nano 240 is enough to stir up the entire tank from end to end, top to bottom in a 55 or a 29G as it is only rated up to 18G. It needs good circulation in the whole tank not just dirctly in front of the powerhead. One 600 in a 29G would be right in the sweet spot.

It is recommend that you have a flow of at least 20x your volume. So say for instance your tank is 29G so that would make it 580G you need to be circulating and hour, and Hydor does 600 GPH then 1 would do around 30x your volume of 580. And remember that the 600 GPH is at optimum performance, you will prob only get about 300 GPH. The flow will appear pretty "widespread", so the effect probably won't be as obvious. So if you take that into account with what the Nano 240 would do you're only look at 40 GPH and the majority of the flow will be directly in front of the head. So you wouldn't be getting the proper circulation.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 05:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
It just seems to me that any plants caught in the line of fire get blown over sideways, which im not a big fan of. I also have a few pearl gouramis which, correct me if im wrong, dont enjoy too much flow.

Im no expert so I would agree that a bigger pump is probably advisable, but what I have works for me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In order to know what works for you, you would have to know why you even have one and what you need one for and their purpose.

I can tell you right off the bat that a Nano 240 in a 55G is way under circulated and isn't doing much by wasting power. You're going to have tons of death spots where waste will build up and break down.

600 GPH pump with 2 going at the same time barely moved the plants in a 55G and is about perfect for that size. It made them gently sway which is not a bad thing as it is mimicking the natural habitat. Not blown over sideways as you might think.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode