Unusual problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unusual problem

I have the kind of problem most people wouldn't mind. A vendor from whom I ordered something else accidentally sent me 10 celestial pearl danios. He told me to keep them. They get here tomorrow. I am in the process of setting up a 40g breeder planted tank but it wont be ready for a month or so. I only have a 2.5g currently that is already overstocked. I had not planned on getting these fish for my tank but now I wouldn't mind keeping some of them for my tank. The other issue is that I will be gone for at least a couple of days at a stretch during the next few weeks.

So what are my options for keeping the danios for the next 3-4 weeks short of buying a new tank for them? The fish in the current tank should be fine without feeding while I am gone for a few days but not sure about these new guys. I could donate some of them to local LFS but want to keep a couple at least. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
maybe quick set up a 5g tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Id have to invest in all the equipment ie filter, heater, light, tank and cycle the tank before putting them in. No time for that and the fish not sure the fish are worth the expense. The seller suggested hanging a breeder tank over the side of the 2.5g but I would be pushing 15 fish in a tiny tank. Granted the danios are young but its probably still too much right?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
15 fish in a 2.5g... probably. you could try; but change the water often. that isn't a whole lot and it'll foul up quick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's the problem though, I will be gone for a couple of days during this period. This may sound crazy but I already have three guppies, 2 otocinclus and 1 neon tetra in the 2.5g. Its a long story but for now its a temporary fix till I get the 40g up and running. That being said, they have been in there for a couple of months now and look fine (maybe a little cranky though)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Could you put them in some other container (bucket, clean trash can, plastic bin, etc.), and use the equipment for the 40B on it (filter, heat, maybe light) until you get the 40B set up?

Also, what state is your 40B in, and what do you need to do to get it ready?

Other then that, I guess maybe see if you have a friend who could take care of them for you, or RAOK them?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

40b is not setup at all because I don't have the stand yet. I do have the heater and filters on hand. How safe is it to setup in a bucket. Half scared that I will burn down the house while I'm gone! If you can't tell, have not had a full size aquarium in a loooong time,
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Algae Grower

what about paying a local fish store to take care of them? It might cost you more than what they're worth though.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't trust petsmart or petco with this, not sure they would anyway. Local petstore said I could "donate them" if I wanted...........

These aren't cheap fish from what I can tell. Not super expensive but not cheap either.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
No friends or family in the area that have aquariums and could care for them in one of their tanks until you're ready?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No one I know has an aquarium oddly enough. I think I might just setup a plastic bin inside of the 40b with the heater and one of the aquaclear 50 filters. My only concern is having a large heater in a small bin.....I might just have to buy a small heater. That would be my only expense though.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Algae Grower

just make sure the heater isnt touching the plastic. I was considering getting some CPD's and did alot of research on them. The CPD's may not even need the heater in the first place. They generally prefer cooler temps and Ive read of people keeping them in unheated tanks and in the 60's during wintertime. Depends on how cold in gets in your residence I suppose.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex009 View Post
just make sure the heater isnt touching the plastic. I was considering getting some CPD's and did alot of research on them. The CPD's may not even need the heater in the first place. They generally prefer cooler temps and Ive read of people keeping them in unheated tanks and in the 60's during wintertime. Depends on how cold in gets in your residence I suppose.

Well I'm setting up a community tank so temps will be warmer. I did read about CPDs liking cooler temps but got the impression they would be fine in a community tank at 75+ degrees. If that's not right, I might as well donate them all to LFS
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds like the local shop is trying for the good deal. Suggest to him that you leave the bunch with him and pick up an agreed upon number when you return or simply take an offer from him as store credit to use later for fish of choice. Normal around here is they give you 50% of retail and you trade it in at retail price. Not a good deal but then you did get the fish cheap!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Algae Grower

What about posting in the local section of this forum to see if anyone is around that could take care of them? Maybe a craigslist ad? Not sure who would be searching for fish sitting. Could yield some interesting responses....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode