Vacation, need opinions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Vacation, need opinions.

Hey everyone,

So I'm traveling to New York City tomorrow and I'll be gone for about a week.

I've done hours of research on how to handle high tech tanks on vacation and I've read a number of different opinions.

I will be leaving tomorrow at noon and I will be coming back Christmas eve.

I have a buildmyled fixture with a dimmer, I dose ferts per the EI method, co2 injection with a weekly 50% water change that I just did today since I won't have time tomorrow.

My current photoperiod is 8 hours.

If I had someone to dose the ferts for me, I would be fine and I would change nothing but since I can't dose ferts while I am gone, I will have to do something different.

I can reduce the light to 50%-75%, reduce the photoperiod, dose more ferts the day I leave, and a whole bunch of other stuff I've read. Like I said before, the Internet has given me millions of options and I don't know which route to go.

Any opinions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
See, this is where having a doser comes in handy and people laughed at me for having one....hehehe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
super helpful right there...

Markahsf you'll probably be fine for a week reducing lighting and turning off your co2

feed your fish well right before you leave. they'll survive a couple weeks without food, so a week shouldn't be a problem.

i've gone months without dosing (ran out of macro solution) My plants seemed fine w/ high light and co2 as usual; but algae quickly grew on the glass all around and my anubias. I've no doubt that under lowered light and way less co2 they'd be fine for a week.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
See, this is where having a doser comes in handy and people laughed at me for having one....hehehe
Yes, this is exactly when an auto doser would have come in handy. I'll have to look into getting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
super helpful right there...

Markahsf you'll probably be fine for a week reducing lighting and turning off your co2

feed your fish well right before you leave. they'll survive a couple weeks without food, so a week shouldn't be a problem.

i've gone months without dosing (ran out of macro solution) My plants seemed fine w/ high light and co2 as usual; but algae quickly grew on the glass all around and my anubias. I've no doubt that under lowered light and way less co2 they'd be fine for a week.
Yeah your probably right. My biggest fear is coming back to a tank with algae. I worked so hard on having an algae free tank and I'd hate to see all that hard work go for nothing.

I'll probably reduce the light intensity to about 50% and I'll probably lower the co2.

I'm so afraid of having algae that I've considered having a week long blackout but I know my plants would hate that lol.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markahsf View Post
Yes, this is exactly when an auto doser would have come in handy. I'll have to look into getting one.

Check out my journal in my sig. It has some pics of the one I am using or will be using. It's no GHL like I have on my reef but for the price I really can't complain. It will make life so much easier as I am not home for 48+ hours at a time because of work and I am surprised more don't use them for dosing. I have been throughly testing the schedule and amounts with water for a couple weeks and so far I have be very pleased with the results. I will need to recailbrate it once I put it into production with the ferts but I don't think there will be much of a difference or will have any problems out of it. Let me know when you're ready and I will point you in the direction where I got mine as it is the only place you can get it as they are the only distributor.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would turn off CO2 and reduce the lighting by 50%.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've been traveling a lot in the last few months. I don't claim to know what the perfect solution is, I only know what has worked out for me and that is:

-Do the 50% water change
-Leave CO2 on
-Dose about 50% of the "missing" EI ferts all at once before leaving
-Reduce photoperiod 50%
-Feed about 2x the normal daily serving before leaving

I've done this for healthy tanks, and I came back to healthy tanks. I've done this with tanks that had minor algae issues, and I came back to less algae in those tanks.

My Tanks:

-
-
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Bringing up a slightly old thread since it's from my BML brethren. I'm going to be leaving for my wedding/honeymoon in Jamaica in a few weeks and will be gone for 2 weeks.

Dosing anything before I go really isn't an option since I won't have my 50% water change done. I figure lower the light intensity obviously, but what is the consensus on CO2? Lower it or leave it off completely?

I have someone to feed the fish every other/every third day or so, but I am more worried about light and co2 and the plants. 1 week wouldn't worry me, but 2 has me a bit more worried.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Bringing up a slightly old thread since it's from my BML brethren. I'm going to be leaving for my wedding/honeymoon in Jamaica in a few weeks and will be gone for 2 weeks.

Dosing anything before I go really isn't an option since I won't have my 50% water change done. I figure lower the light intensity obviously, but what is the consensus on CO2? Lower it or leave it off completely?

I have someone to feed the fish every other/every third day or so, but I am more worried about light and co2 and the plants. 1 week wouldn't worry me, but 2 has me a bit more worried.
I actually took slumpy's advice.

I had to change my routine a bit to make sure I did my 50% water change the day before. I left the co2 on but lowered it and reduced the lights on the dimmer to 40% I believe.

Either way, I just wanted to make sure I didn't come back to an algae farm. If my plants didn't grow, it didn't bother me but they actually grew a bit and there was no algae on my return. I was only gone for one week though. I just think you should focus on not having algae instead of being worried that your plants won't grow. I'm sure you already are though.

Good luck buddy!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the reply! No ferts either right? I'd actually prefer they don't grow lol. Did you reduce the photoperiod as well or just intensity? I just want to come back to a healthy tank w/o algae!

I figure 40% like you said with slight co2 should keep things in check and healthy. I planned on doing the WC the night before I left as well, should be good for 2 weeks I'd think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markahsf View Post
I actually took slumpy's advice.

I had to change my routine a bit to make sure I did my 50% water change the day before. I left the co2 on but lowered it and reduced the lights on the dimmer to 40% I believe.

Either way, I just wanted to make sure I didn't come back to an algae farm. If my plants didn't grow, it didn't bother me but they actually grew a bit and there was no algae on my return. I was only gone for one week though. I just think you should focus on not having algae instead of being worried that your plants won't grow. I'm sure you already are though.

Good luck buddy!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Thanks for the reply! No ferts either right? I'd actually prefer they don't grow lol. Did you reduce the photoperiod as well or just intensity? I just want to come back to a healthy tank w/o algae!

I figure 40% like you said with slight co2 should keep things in check and healthy. I planned on doing the WC the night before I left as well, should be good for 2 weeks I'd think.
I dosed half the dosage. Not sure if I needed to but I just did.

I kept the same photoperiod of 8 hours so it was just the intensity I lowered.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cool thanks again. I think I'm skipping on ferts. If it was 1 week and I could do a water change then maybe but two weeks with ferts and no water change scares me

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Two weeks with ferts and no water changes is better than no ferts at all.

Given that I travel internationally for work 5-7 times per year for up to two weeks I've put together a system for doing it. Pre-measured doses of ferts in the cheap weekly bill boxes is the only way to go.

Use Wet's calculator to graphically look at the nutrients in a tank. Now remove one water change. What will happen? A slight bump in the amount of "extra fertilizer in the tank. The more heavily planted the less this extra bump will do. What does this extra bump actually mean... very little. It will also only be for a week.

As long as you have someone reliable to feed the fish and dump in premeasured doses of fert's a healthy established tank should be fine.

If you cut off the ferts completely for two weeks you know that the plants will suffer for lack of food. Remember the art of keeping algae out of the tank is to keep things in balance. Deliberately messing with this balance will not end well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode