Setting up Co2 tomorrow-need guidance - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Setting up Co2 tomorrow-need guidance

So I have a co2 system coming in the mail tomorrow. To say I'm excited to set it up is an understatement. This is my first time doing this though so I have some extremely basic questions.

First off, when I receive the system, do I need to bring anything besides the co2 tank itself to get it filled? Didn't know if there were any weird laws or anything.

Secondly, this is being added to a planted tank with some fish and shrimp in it. I don't want to shock/kill them so I assume a slow and steady approach to turning up the gas? Any suggestions on how long of a period I should take to reach my set level of co2?

Anything else I should be aware of/know?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You will need the CO2 cylinder only to get it filled. If it has not been hydrostatically tested in the last 5 years to ensure safety, you will also need to get that done (the place that refills it should be able to do it for you).

Yes, the slow and steady approach to increasing CO2 in the water column is recommended.

Regarding the operation of the regulator, to prevent a gauge from being blown, I would suggest you take a look through my Primer for Pressurized CO2 where I outline the necessary steps to take to safely attach and operate a CO2 regulator.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would like to double the note about turning the reg on and doing it correctly. Look under the final basic instructions at item 4. and get it down. It will quite likely save you money at some point if you do this correctly!
If not done correctly there is a small brass tube inside the low pressure meter and you may hear a small "pop" as the soldered seam blows out. Then the meter no longer reads right, if at all!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks rich and Anthony. It's a shame that your primer note isn't a sticky on the forums!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One important small note before hooking up the regulator purge the tang for a second to make sure there is no junk in the system so you don't create any problems with the reg.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
and just as an FYI, most places will take your tank and swap it with an already filled one. For some people this can come as quite the shock when thy thought they would be using the bright shinny one they just bought.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Algae Grower

Get some Teflon pipe sealing tape to wrap the threads of your adapters with to ensure a better seal, and use only one gasket between the regulator and the CO2 cylinder, and don't over-tighten anything or you'll crush gaskets and/or O-rings. Since this'll be your first time setting the system up, mix a cup of dish soap and water and coat your system joints to leak-test the system. Bubbles are bad.

Good luck!

10 gallon acrylic fw planted. 6 neon tetras, 1 GBR, 3 Amano shrimp, 2 nerites, 1 BNP, Eheim Classic 2211, Finnex Planted+ 17W LED, Hydor ETH 200W In-Line Heater, InkBird temp controller.

10 gallon aquaponic setup, hydroponic basil, 8 HET rasboras, RCS, red ramshorn snails.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Soap testing is one of those things that is easy to overlook. Lots of reasons to say it takes too much time and trouble. But then if it saves you taking the tank down and going to get it refilled as well as paying and then reinstalling, Is it really saving you time and trouble? Just a few minutes remixing the test soap and using it, saves me a half hour drive plus all the other. I keep a small cup and the brush under the stand where it is there when I change out the tank. It normally dries up and I have to add water but it is sure to be quicker than the drive!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil07 View Post
Thanks rich and Anthony. It's a shame that your primer note isn't a sticky on the forums!
It is in the FAQ section of these forums (right next to the User CP link near the top)

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode