New fish pacing like crazy... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
New fish pacing like crazy...

Hello all,

I recently completed a fishless cycle on my 90G planted tank (achieved by nothing else than my MGOPM leaching ammonia) and introduced a few fish this weekend when i noticed the nitrites finally hit zero. I got four sterbai corydoras along with two Bolivian rams and the cory cats are pacing like maniacs, swimming up and down in the corner and along the back glass. Does this happen to people? Should I be concerned? The Bolivians have also been pretty shy, but I hear that Bolivians/German rams can be like that before dither fish are present.

I have seen a few of them nibbling shrimp pellets after lights out so that is a good sign, but I can't help but feel that they are... uncomfortable, or something. All of my levels are still fine, although I need to bring my water hardness down a bit and i'm going to slowly add some Fluval peat granules this week (emphasis on slowly).

PS - I know I chose weird starter fish, but I visited three stores and I wasn't going to compromise what I wanted in terms of my preferred schooling fish or angels if they were either unhealthy or unavailable. I got the Sterbai's because they were about $7 each which is much cheaper than many of my LFS normally sell them for. Also, I will get more Sterbai's next time I see them, the LFS only had 4 at the time...

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Got any hiding spots for them? New fish are often nervous so even if they are not normally prone to hiding, they will feel better if they can be out of sight while they get used it the new digs. If nothing else on hand, a plain cup from the cabinet will do for a few days? Several may be better so they can each have space.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lol! Totally my bad! I omitted the fact that I have a ton of hiding spots. There are 4 pieces of driftwood here, one of which is huge, and many plants... (i am experiencing some melt that's not apparent in this pic but this is the basic gist)

PS - I am going to post a mini-tank diary at some point so you may see this twice

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nervous fish like to have small spots where they can tuck in. Light also makes them more nervous. Trying lights out for some time may help.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup... lights are off except for one on the far end of the room (not on the tank) and i still see them pacing. To be honest i'm not sure if they are either having the best time ever or they are freaking out

It kinda looks fun swimming around like that.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
It took dithers and about 2 months for my Bolivian rams to free swim anywhere above the lower part of the tank. Now they go all over. Awesome fish once they adjust. Mine like to dance at their reflections in the glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
If I remember correctly, my sterbais did the same thing. It should stop eventually.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Algae Grower

Corys are know for this... I'm not sure why. I asked in another forum but no one could explain it. Its just what they do. Like they are trying to find the boundaries or something...

All you can do is continue to check the water and make sure everything is good. After a few days they will calm down.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, everyone.

Yando - where in NJ are you located? I live in West Orange. Between Aboslutely Fish in Clifton, Ely's in Florham Park, and Rt. 4 Aquarium in Fairlawn (a bit farther) it's a great spot in terms of LFS.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My albino Cory's did that its there nature to gulp air at the top so I removed them because they were to disruptive to the tank.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Nice tank. Fishtown on rt 17 has a decent selection of plants too if you ever feel inclined to travel north

Last edited by dasob85; 12-17-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: wrong name of the store
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
mine do this in the morning when I turn lights on, I can just hear them going "yipppeee yippee, we're going to get fed"

-Jacklyn
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! The plants are all brand new and need to grow in quite a bit still. Unfortunately my vals and even narrow leaf micro sword are melting (the NLMS because i unpotted it, i presume).

I am going to check out Fish Hut on your recommendation! I need more plants because i can already tell i may have algae problems if i don't get more competition in there. In fact, I left the lights off today on purpose...

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
I'm sorry, Its Fishtown USA on route 17. I always get those 2 confused.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My EBR are shy when somebody 'new' approaches the tank too quickly, but I know they are fine because they settled in and bred within a week. They still hide when a visitor comes to see them. And I never had sterbai, but my juvenile pandas always swam up and down the walls of the aquarium in a playful manner. My mother's albinos were always active, even the adults while the peppered cories remained shy and hidden.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode