Nuking snails in main tank consequence? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nuking snails in main tank consequence?

Ive decided to do whole tank redo by removing substrate, but i also decided to medicate my whole system to clean any remaining pathogens. gonna use Furan 2 and it will kill my inverts such as shrimps and snails.
now i have about 15 ghost shrimps, 2 nerites(which i will remove before medicating) and hundreds of MTS. im kinda glad cuz i wanna get rid of all my MTS.
some are big like 3/4" and some are babies.
i will be doing 50-70% WC daily and dosing furan 2 daily. but im worried that all the deaths of the snails may cause some ammonia spike.
has anyone had experience killing all their inverts and seeing adverse effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yup. Added a large loach. It was the snailpocalyse. Didn't think it would eat or kill every snail in the tank in just two days, but it did. Large ammonia spike and green water bloom.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Yup. Added a large loach. It was the snailpocalyse. Didn't think it would eat or kill every snail in the tank in just two days, but it did. Large ammonia spike and green water bloom.
+1 on this. I had the same experience when adding a Clown Loach. What a ravenous beast

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
haha I loved watching my clown loach when I added him to my tank... he cleaned up the snails in no time, once he found them he flipped em over and sucked them out of their shells... and he kept them in check really well. I unfortunately lost him in a power outage and my MTS and pond snails as well as some ramshorns are now taking over the tank (I only had pond snails before, never noticed the others until after the loach was gone, must have been keeping them in check really well!)

--Rob--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

why would ammonia spike occur when snails are eaten by loaches?
i would think dead snails rotting would cause ammonia spike tho.
but again my tank is 300gal, and i got few hundred MTS. u guys think im gonna have ammonia spike issue?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreef View Post
but again my tank is 300gal, and i got few hundred MTS. u guys think im gonna have ammonia spike issue?
Well its not like he'll lick everything clean I'd imagine it would be a bit of a mess afterwards with bits of snail left in the shells. Then you have to fish out ALL of the empty ones. Maybe not as bad as a puffer fish though.

JAVA MOSS

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreef View Post
Lots of food, lots of poop. The loach gorged itself, plumping up like a grilled hot dog. And what it couldn't eat, it killed and left to rot. She was one mean loach.

No one can say for sure if you'll really have an ammonia spike. But just remember, with MTS the ones you see are just a small fraction of the ones that are there. If you're seeing a few hundred, there are probably over a thousand.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Planted Member

Whether rotting or eaten the vast majority of all the nitrogen ends up as ammonia in fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode