What should I do--new tank input? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
What should I do--new tank input?

I impulse bought a betta. I'm a terrible person I know. I have a 29 gal planted tank but I can't put him in there because I have a pea puffer and 4 very active, most definitely will fin-nip, ocelot danios.

My plan was to take this empty 10 gal tank I have, de-rim it and set it up as a riparium. I really liked the look of ripariums and I thought it might be a good tank for a betta.

But of course it's not set up yet. Right now the poor betta is in a cut-in-half 1 gallon milk jug (it had distilled water in it before, not milk). The problem is I live in New Hampshire. The temp at night gets down to 63 F in the house. It's really cold for a fish. 63 is not really cold for a New Hampshirian.

So I was going to put him in the 10 gal. I have a heater and a filter with medium that has been kept in the bigger tank. Temp should be ready for him to go in there tonight.

But then the problem is how am I going to de-rim and set up this 10 gal tank with the betta in there. Here are my choices:

1) buy a rimless tank (kind of expensive.... would really prefer not to spend that kind of money, unless maybe I could get one used or something) and then set that one up as the riparium.

2) buy a 1-2gal bowl to put him in that. I found a small heater for a 1.5 gal bowl and I found kind of a nice sort of straight cylinder-type bowl I like. I could stick him in the 10 gal temporarily and then set up the little bowl like a nano tank to put him in there and then make the riparium. And then I'd have a nano bowl so I'd probably have to get another betta or something, what a hardship.

The problem with #2 is that I've had difficulty growing plants in the past. I like the riparium idea not only because of the look but also because growing something emersed will cut out a lot of problems I've had growing plants. I can really only get very very easy plants to grow in my big tank. It's fairly well planted but with only two types of plants mainly--anubais nana and the petite version, and some kind of tall plant I forgot the name. That one grows like a weed and is taking over the tank. I have some marsilea minutia (could be quadrifolia, jury is out) that is alive but not growing. Has been in there a while and hasn't died but not spreading at all. Probably will die eventually because the tall plant is taking over.

It's a low tech tank. Everything else melts and I tend to get a lot of algae, brown and green. I really don't over feed either, cross my heart.

So I'm thinking that if I tried to do a nano I would not have any luck with it. I would really not want to add CO2. I really prefer low tech. Is that even possible with a nano? I think I'm talking myself out of this idea. I just like the idea of having a little nano bowl and I've seen some people have done on here that I loved.

I also have a pH of 7.6 but my water is soft. I've read everywhere I should never mess with the pH but I keep worrying it really is too high. And it's kind of a pain because the water coming out of the tap is 6.0 so I have to put it in a bucket and let it sit for 3 days before it's up to 7.6 (not by adjusting it, it just rises by itself--I presume because of lost CO2?) before I can do a water change. And then if I misjudge the amount of water I take out of the tank vs. how much I have to put in then I'm left short.

Anyway, I thought I would muse about this here to see if you guys had thoughts of what I should do about met poor betta. Ok I know it's bad to impulse buy fish but eventually this little guy is going to have a good place to live with room and heat and lots of plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Algae Grower

I have no input on the rim less option. Just writing in response to the what to do with the betta questions...

I recently upgraded my betta to this tank from Truaqua and went all live plants.
http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-tank-st320.html

The plants have been doing great after 2 weeks. I have attached a picture for you to see. The betta is very happy and honestly I think the plants are too. They have several other options that are quite affordable.
Below is the link of the clearance section.

http://www.truaqua.com/clearance.html

I would get another tank for the betta. Put him in the 10 Gal for now until you can get a new one set up so then you can continue with your original plan for that 10 Gal...
Attached Images

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey thanks so much for your response! I'll look into it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode