Stubborn mineral deposit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Stubborn mineral deposit

bout a year back when I tore down my 20H, I didn't bother to take down the hardscape.. So I left the tank wet (only drained the tank at substrate level) Not knowing about mineral deposits would soon reside in the future.

So I finally decided to reincarnate the tank, and.. BOOM! The first time I notice was the white mineral deposit. At eye level, the tank deposit is very noticeable, once you start staring at it. You can't stop and it bugs the heck' out of me.

I tried draining the tank, started using vinegar and gave it a good scrub.. but it was still there! Not even slight scratch. So I tried a glass scraper, at first I thought it was working but once again.. the deposit prevail.

I'm thinking of using "API safe and easy aquarium cleaner"
Or let the glass soak a little bit longer in vinegar

Btw, the tank is fully setup, with plants and shrimp. So no harsh chemicals

Anyone have any input? I'm open to suggestions! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm kinda confused as to the situation (where the stains are). Try adding a baking soda paste first and then rubbing that with vinegar to oxidize it away. That is how I remove hard water build up normally.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraps View Post
I'm kinda confused as to the situation (where the stains are). Try adding a baking soda paste first and then rubbing that with vinegar to oxidize it away. That is how I remove hard water build up normally.
Would I mix the baking soda in water or vinegar to get it to a paste?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I know you can't use it now, but if you end up breaking it down again.. try CLR.. that stuff eats up mineral deposits really well. Because of my tap water, I have to use it one or twice a year on my shower heads and faucets.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There is a cheap tool designed for removing tough stuff like paint from glass without scratching. Pick up a paint scraper from the hardware. It will get the really tough stuff off so that wiping will do the rest. It is also a handy tool for removing silicone when you want like if you are redoing the silicone at the edge. One caution is that you do need to be careful when running close to the seals so that you don't lift the edge of them.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
If something like CLR or toilet bowl cleaner (hydrochloric acid aka HCl aka muriatic acid) does not work quickly with a scrub pad (say a 5-10min dwell time before scubbing) then it's most likely silicate staining. You likely have high silicates in your area and in this case good luck. Razor is best options in my opinion otherwise you'll need a hydrofluoric acid (HF) as this will dissolve the silicates...however this issue then becomes it will also etch your glass....thus the razor being the next best thing to the CLR or HCl.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't think there is much you can do aside from scraping if your tank is currently set up.

Next tear-down, try wetting a paper towel or napkin with vinegar, sticking that over the area, and let it sit for a while, then go at it with the scraper.

Vinegar should work for carbonate stains, if it's not, then the glass may be etched. I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard that after a while, sometimes the glass gets etched where the water level is.

I think I've heard people recommend using cerium oxide, but I don't know anything other than that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It may or may not be etched.. won't know unless I tear the tank down and see.
But I just got everything setup again, and I'm enjoying everything so far; except the mineral deposit.

If I can't treat it naturally while still setup, I probably won't try and clean it once torn down. Better off just buying a new tank, I will upgrade later on anyways.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode