New to Plants Need some Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to Plants Need some Help

Hey All,
So I have wanted to do a panted tank for a while now. I got some info from the pets mart people and now i just want to make sure I'm doing it all right. I have a 55gal Tank, with dwarf hair and some amazon sword.

They told me that i do not need any substrite and as long as i cover the roots ill be fine, also that their Aqueon lights will work just fine as well.

Is this correct information? Or any tips to make it grow faster would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (151/100%)
Pretty decent information from Petsmart.. however your hairgrass will benefit even more with a nutrient-rich substrate. I recommend giving root tabs, also dosing npk trace fertilizer such as seachem's Flourish to your amazon sword and maybe your hairgrass too if you are using plain gravel/sand. Good luck and welcome to ThePlantedTank!

20 gallon - Red Cherry Shrimp/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpchow View Post
They told me that i do not need any substrite and as long as i cover the roots ill be fine, also that their Aqueon lights will work just fine as well.

Is this correct information? Or any tips to make it grow faster would be great.
Welcome to the Plantedtank!

You can grow plants in containers if you aren't going to use substrate. The media in the pots would be considered substrate depending on the way you look at it. So basically for the plants listed you do need substrate of some kind. Otherwise, they will float around. Why do you not want substrate?

The Aqueon lights may be adequate depending on which one you purchased. So it depends. There are far better options available for the money IMO.

Without any substrate you will need to supply nutrients in the water column. When I shopped there I didn't see enough products to supply a complete range of nutrients. Most are trace mixes, iron or iron/potash blends. You're better off ordering dry fertilizers from day one and forgo all the "off the shelf" fertilizers. It's far cheaper and will provide complete nutrition.

Suggestions on how to make them grow faster? There is no quick answer for this. If you are new to planted tanks I would start off with low tech and later upgrade to high light and injected CO2. Starting with the basics will be less frustrating and manageable for the uninitiated.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Welcome fellow Chicagoan! While new, I can share with you some of my experiences. I tried to grow the same exact plants in my 55 gal. The sword was a champ but the hair grass was a fail. I attributed this to poor substrate(sand was to compact to let runners shoot up) and not enough light reaching the bottom of the tank.

If I could make one suggestion to save you from headaches, choose a good substrate from the get go. I went with eco complete since I was a little intimidated by a dirted tank. Any other questions just ask.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode