Aqueon Evolve Lighting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Aqueon Evolve Lighting?

My local Petsmart has a few Aqueon Evolve 4 kits on clearance (for $29.99, if I remember right). I do have in mind to start a RCS planted nano (with possibly a couple fish), but I am wondering how decent the LED lights are that come on it. Are they capable of growing even low-light plants? I did a little searching around the forum and people seem to have plants with the included LEDs, but I'd like to hear some more details about it.

29 Gallon
Aqueon Evolve 4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Planted Member

I have the evolve 4 and yes the light will grow low light plants. I had willow hygro and guppy grass before but now I just have java moss and fern because I didn't like trimming the other plants.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I suppose these would be good for medium to high light plants
http://www.thatpetplace.com/fluval-c...flora-kits-13w

29 Gallon
Aqueon Evolve 4

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've done it. Dirted shrimp tank coming up!

29 Gallon
Aqueon Evolve 4

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Congratulations on your new toy!

You should read through the list of low light plants in this thread. I'll venture to guess you'll be shocked at the varieties you can grow with that light.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Some plants will grow ok I think. I only used the stock light for a few weeks but I also always had another overhead (cubicle) light on above that for more light (my Evolve 8 is at my desk at work). I bought a Finnex FugeRay R from a member here on the forum and in a matter of days I saw the difference. I have crypt parva (slow growing plant) that is showing new growth already and another plant 3/4 to the surface when planted it was maybe 1/4 clipping.

Oh wanted to add the FugeRay -r is fairly cheap I paid $30 shipped for a slightly used one, but you can find them new for $35-$40 I think. I know considering the tank it seems like a lot but it will open you up to some other plants and really good growth and flourishing plants.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It seemed like a great deal for $30. I'll be making an order for plants from members of the forum once I get it up and running, which won't be long because the better-half is out of town and I have nothing to do tonight, HA.

@TekWarren
I'll check out that Finnex light. I prefer it to be a clip on to replace the stock one. Looks like a winner.

29 Gallon
Aqueon Evolve 4

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
hmmm, bored solitary time with a credit card and a new project. This could get expensive interesting
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fugeray r is a clip on
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I believe the FugeRay-R will the be light I would upgrade to in the future. I'm glad to know that the stock light will be sufficient for low-light plants too. I have the Evolve 4 set up with dirt and pool filter sand from my 29 I'm breaking down to get rid of. Here's a quick picture. It's quite cloudy and I'm surprised at how much power that pump puts out. It made some noise at first, but seems to have quiet down for good now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387246137934.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	247585  

29 Gallon
Aqueon Evolve 4

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've done it. I picked up the 8 gallon version shortly after they came out. I have a couple kinds of crypts, anubias, java ferns, and a whole mess of bolbitis. I will say, however, that the lighting doesn't seem to last real long. After about 6 months, 3 of the LED's started flickering. I emailed the company and they immediately sent me a new one. 6 months later and the new fixture had 6 LED's out. All in the same spot. I suspect there's some poor wiring done inside. Either way, I've been pretty happy with it.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Glad to hear they sent you a new light without a hassle. If something goes wrong with the lights I'll just upgrade to the $40 Finnex lights. I would have preferred the 8 gallon, but at $30 for the 4 gallon, which is half off from what I can tell by price matching, I'll live with it. Perfect for the countertop and shrimp.

29 Gallon
Aqueon Evolve 4

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I found my evolve 8 for $40! It was the only one left and the box was beat up but tank is fine.

Here is my 8 last Friday when I installed the FugeRay R. The plants in the back right I swear grew an inch or two just over the weekend. The red plants in the back left are all but stems but I am seeing some new growth. Mid-fore ground is pretty sparse yet as I wasn't sure if the crypt parva would work in this tank or not. And the tiny Downoi plugs was put in just because they where detachments from larger clumps in my home tank. I'm happy to say that both the parva and downoi are holding on. Now my Downoi at home is complaining so I may bring more in for this tank.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've definitely got to get one of those lights. I should be setting up a day co2 system for it after I get the light. I posted a WTB ad for the light, hopefully I'll run across a good deal

29 Gallon
Aqueon Evolve 4

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am hoping to NOT need C02, not something I want to deal with at work but if I have to I will dose metricide. I already have been dosing 1 ml a week just for a boost but we'll see how it goes.

Off-topic note: Small world your in Clarksville! My brother just left Clarksville, TN...relocated to Texas (military).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode