Help with plants in my 10 gallon (brown java fern, holes in anubias) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with plants in my 10 gallon (brown java fern, holes in anubias)

I've been running a low-tech 10 gallon since March and things have gone pretty well, even though I'm a noobie. It's stocked with 3 honey gouramis and 7 celestial pearl danios and other than my own thoughts that putting the CPDs in a 10 gallon was not great, the fish seem fine.

The aquarium's pretty green - there's a ton Hydrocotyle at the top of the tank, and a dark green spinach like plant taking over the bottom of the tank (any ideas as to what it is?). There are also a few sprigs of bacopa, though most of that has not made it since setting up the tank. There's some duck weed at the top and I've been dealing with green algae near the top of the tank.

There are also a couple of small java ferns and an anubias on one side of the tank. They're both rubberbanded to rocks and not buried in the substrate at all. Both are looking a little rough. The java fern has several leaves that are various shades of yellow/brown/black (the largest leaf has a fernlet on it which also is turning black) while some of the anubias leaves have holes in them. The weird thing for me is that other leaves on both plants look great.

I dose 2 to 3 mL of Excel every day (5mL after a water change). I also dose 1/16 teaspoon of KNO3 twice a week and 1/32 teaspoon of KH2PO4 on different days twice a week. I dose with Flourish Equilibrium at 1/8th teaspoon after waterchanges (once 1-2 weeks), and 1 mL of Flourish after each water change. The tank is lit from 11am to 8pm, though gets a little blocked light from a window about 15 feet away.

Images of the two plants are here: http://imgur.com/xb7m751

Any ideas? I'd love to dose whatever the deficiency is but I can't tell.

Last edited by tigerali; 12-15-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: paragraphs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm no expert on excel, but I believe the dose rate is 1ml per 10 gallons not 3 ml.

Directions
On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode