New tank - Need advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation New tank - Need advice

Hey everyone
First time poster, but have been browsing for a while.

I just have some questions/need reassurance on my newly setup tank.

A few months back I bought a 4ft Tank, stand, light and filter for $50 so it was a giveaway price.

I replaced the crappy metal stand with a custom built hardwood stand.
Replaced the filter with an Aqua One Aquis 1250
Replace the Single globe light with a Twin Globe Unit (sunlight/tropical globes)

After setting this tank up and kicking off the bacteria cycle, I added a few neon tetras, done daily testing of pH, GH, Ammonia, Nitrite/Nitrate for a week, then added a few more fish (Gourami's, more neons, a few kuhlii loaches) tested for a few days more and there wasn't any harmful spikes so I decided to add about $400 of plants, these plants are:

• Two Double Anub. Hybrid & Anub. Paco
  • One Nano Rainforest Garden
  • 2 Cuba HC pots
  • 3 Glossostigma pots
  • 1 Medium Driftwood Anubias
  • 1 Blue Stricta Pot
They were all healthy, all look great in the tank, but because of the price (and the first time i have had and kept plants) I just want some guidance to see if I can improve on any areas/prevent theses plants from dieing.

For the plants I am using
  • API Root-tabs (12 tabs added before the plants)
  • API Co2 Booster (Liquid - added weekly)
  • API Leaf Zone (Liauid - added weekly)
So what does everyone think? I have used the API products in tank countless times, and they work really well! But I have only used them for fish, never plants.

Heres a picture aswell: http://i.imgur.com/Eu1V8hj.jpg

I urge constructive criticism! Lol

Cheers
Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Cam,

Nice looking tank.

I'll start with a couple points, I'm sure others will comment also.

Extra info about your lights would be helpful.

Plants on the dw look good. Well attached.

API roots tabs are probably good (I've never used them), but imo your best bet is Dino Dung. This product is only available in Australia. Spit and Pee is worth a look too (Spit = co2 booster or excel, Pee = leaf zone or flourish).

For future reference, plants go in immediately. You don't have to wait. Plants soak up ammonia and will help speed up the cycling process. Which makes me wonder, how did you start the cycle? There's no mention of an ammonia source and your substrate appears to be inert.

HC can be grown without pressurized CO2, but it ain't easy. I've never tried. The times I've seen it done its been a pet project carried out by a pro. So consider diy CO2 or better still, go pressurized.

Did you remove the wool from the hc and glosso? You should. Usually hc and glosso is pulled apart and small 'plugs' are planted around, this helps it spread quicker.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm not familiar with those lights so can't comment. I have doubts whether the root tabs will provide enough nutrients to all of the plants. Leaf zone only provides iron and potassium. The CO2 booster is great if you don't have CO2 injection. You may want to test the nitrate and phosphates to see where you are. It may be necessary to add more of these. You certainly would benefit from a trace nutrient mix such as Flourish comprehensive or Plantex CSM +B. What is your GH? You may also need to add GH booster.

I can't help but ask. Did you really spend $400 on those plants? That seems VERY expensive. Just curious.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I'm not familiar with those lights so can't comment. I have doubts whether the root tabs will provide enough nutrients to all of the plants. Leaf zone only provides iron and potassium. The CO2 booster is great if you don't have CO2 injection. You may want to test the nitrate and phosphates to see where you are. It may be necessary to add more of these. You certainly would benefit from a trace nutrient mix such as Flourish comprehensive or Plantex CSM +B. What is your GH? You may also need to add GH booster.

I can't help but ask. Did you really spend $400 on those plants? That seems VERY expensive. Just curious.
I would suggest a better application of CO2 than the CO2 booster. If you've spent $400 on plants (....for what you got is EXTREMELY expensive), you can likely afford a 5lb CO2 tank, diffisuer, and regulator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry about the delayed response, work was insane today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
Hi Cam,

Nice looking tank.

I'll start with a couple points, I'm sure others will comment also.

Extra info about your lights would be helpful.

Plants on the dw look good. Well attached.

API roots tabs are probably good (I've never used them), but imo your best bet is Dino Dung. This product is only available in Australia. Spit and Pee is worth a look too (Spit = co2 booster or excel, Pee = leaf zone or flourish).

For future reference, plants go in immediately. You don't have to wait. Plants soak up ammonia and will help speed up the cycling process. Which makes me wonder, how did you start the cycle? There's no mention of an ammonia source and your substrate appears to be inert.

HC can be grown without pressurized CO2, but it ain't easy. I've never tried. The times I've seen it done its been a pet project carried out by a pro. So consider diy CO2 or better still, go pressurized.

Did you remove the wool from the hc and glosso? You should. Usually hc and glosso is pulled apart and small 'plugs' are planted around, this helps it spread quicker.
Hey Dantrasy,
Cheers

The light unit is an Aqua One Twin Fluroglow. One bulb is a "sunlight" tube, just the bright white tube, the other is a "tropical" tube, it's a light pink coloured - apparently (quote website) it helps plants to photosythesise and promotes growth. If you have a good light in mind I dont mind upgrading again.

Anything else you would like to know about the light?

Sweet, they all had really good roots on them when i bought them, hence the answer to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
I didn't know you had to pull them apart, but as the roots were all through that wooly stuff I just left them.

With cycling the tank, all I done was a normal setup (rinse gravel, put water in, etc) but I also added API Quick start, which allows you to instantly add fish thus skipping the cycle period (I still let it sit for several weeks though) I have tested this product many times, most successful on a Goldfish bay (three tanks stacked with a sump), and I used Prime conditioner then Quick start and added around 200 fish two days later, in a week I only lost 4 goldfish in total and there were no toxic spikes in the tank - so the product works well.

Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post

Alright, I left my test kit at work so i'll grab it tomorrow and test those three things and get back to you.

I'm going to see a guy tomorrow that has had 20+ years experience in fresh/saltwater, discus and plants, so i'll have a chat to him about these products.

Excuse my derpness, but this isn't an Australian website hey? I live in QLD so im not sure if all these products are available to me. And do you have an opinion on the SEACHEM products?

Also the plants were that price :\
I know, its quite expensive lol

(This is all wholesale prices)
  • Two Double Anub. Hybrid & Anub. Paco = $85.44
  • One Nano Rainforest Garden = $31.49
  • 2 Cuba HC pots = $11.54
  • 3 Glossostigma pots = $13.83
  • 1 Medium Driftwood Anubias = $23.17
  • 1 Blue Stricta Pot = $3.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf19 View Post
I would suggest a better application of CO2 than the CO2 booster. If you've spent $400 on plants (....for what you got is EXTREMELY expensive), you can likely afford a 5lb CO2 tank, diffisuer, and regulator.
Cheers wolf, do you mind briefly explaining the regulator? I assume its just to put in the right amount every so often?

Thank you all for all the help!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode