First "Real" Planted Tank - 75 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First "Real" Planted Tank - 75 Gallon

Hi, everyone! I am looking to do my third ever planted tank, but do it well this time. I am in the research stage, as I am still working on my 10 gallon brackish right now and even though it is almost done, I am on tight funds. The lighting I think I need is almost $150 alone, the tank doesn't have a canopy (which I want and will build to suit the lights), the stand and back need painting, CO2, substrate, plants, fish.... This tank is months, if not a year away from even having water in it.

I have been doing a lot of research and wanted to originally do a Walstad but I just can't find nice, heavily planted Walstad tanks. I don't want to go too high tech but I would like to use decently high light so I am not limited much as far as plants go and I am pondering about CO2 because I really don't want to spend a FORTUNE. From my understanding, I would need a couple CO2 diffusers in this tank due to sheer size. I want to dirt this tank. I don't have a clue about what dirt to use besides MGOPM and I want a play sand/pool filter sand cap.mmIf there is a thread you can link me to or any advice you can give, I am all ears and I want to learn.

Thank you in advance,
Prince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Well I'v got a few dirt tanks and all I ever did was put in a bag (or 3) of top soil. From a BBS. Nothing special. I put the dirt in, wet it, planted it then filled it up. I wasn't sure about fish in the first one so it ran for a month with just plants. Lighting was/is just a single 6700K tube. Still looks good after 2 years. I used black gravel as a cap on that tank. Wasn't real happy with my playsand capped 55 though. Seems as though the dirt always comes through. My 75 I have in the fish house has a gravel base but I put plants in net pots with dirt. I'm liking that system a bit better and the plants are doing fine after 1 year.
My 29 gallon was my very first dirt tank. Just top soil no cap. It was on my back porch with no filter, no heater, no light except for natural sunlight that came through. That was my best dirt tank so far. But it was designed as a tank for plants. Fish weren't added for about 6 months.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode