medicating a planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey guys, I have my clown loach who is beginning to get emaciated, he still has an appetite, but I'm afraid he's got some kind of internal parasite. I would like to medicated with some metronidazol (sp?) but I was wondering if it willa ffect my plants in any way?

the reason I ask is because after a long frustrating journey, I've finally reached a nutrient balance in my tank, and things have never been better, but I've had this loach for a while, and I guess you can say i'm attached.

what do you guys suggest I do here?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
can you put him in a hospital tank and treat him there?

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 02:54 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy
can you put him in a hospital tank and treat him there?
I agree. Set him up in his own little hospital tank. If you don't have an extra tank, you could use a rubbermade container or something. Fill the hospital tank with water from your regular tank. Setup an air stone and your good to go. You can put some old biomedia or something from your tank to get some bio going on in the quarantine. It probably won't matter much though if you'll be using antibiotics. Keep an eye on the ammonia levels.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I'll see if I can ... It hink the only thing I have is a 5.5 gallon... you think that'll be enough?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

It should be enough unless your loach is older and therefore bigger.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

ok cool, now comes the extremely fun part of netting the little guy. I'll probably have to uproot all my plants, which sucks
:evil:
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

also make sure that the water in your hospital tank is heated so that your loach doesn't experience any temp. drops. and remember the air stone as well and keep an eye on the ammonia levels!!

I'm not familiar with "metronidazol"

Will that kill the bacteria in your tank? You've got to be careful about treating loaches because they are scaleless and therefore extremely sensitive to meds. Sometimes the med will say if it's safe to use with loaches. I think the best remedy is salt bath and heat, but even the salt bath has been argued to harm a clown loach. Get the specs on those meds and make sure they're safe for your little guy before using it.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Metronidazole is more for external parasites if I recall correctly. Won't harm plants, and I believe biofilters should be okay. It might kill your invertebraes (shrimp etc).

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

yes it is primarily for external parasites but also is one of the best ways of dealing with internal parasites too, well at least it worked in the past. and you are quite correct, it will make quick work of invertebrates, a guy I know uses it to get rid of snails. (not that i'm recommending it)

Yes I will definitely put in half dose if that, and continue to get him to eat, till I start to see him put on some pounds. lol

do you suggest putting any kind of gravel in the tank? or just leave it?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

the gravel be nice because it would make him feel more comfortable. Also give him a place to hide. Maybe even a little water sprite if you got it just so that he doesn't feel like he was torn from his home and thrown in a trash can :cry:

Stress is also an important factor. The most painfree stressfree environment for your buddy will help him get better. Yeah,
give him some gravel. (make sure it's not crudded with waste) but just a nice clean little layer for him.

Don't feed him too much. Just keep an eye on your ammonia. That's the most dangerous part.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy
the gravel be nice because it would make him feel more comfortable. Also give him a place to hide. Maybe even a little water sprite if you got it just so that he doesn't feel like he was torn from his home and thrown in a trash can :cry:
ok good, that was what I was thinking too, keep him as comfortable as possible, I can do that...

thanks very much
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi this a frequent problem with botia type loaches. They are wild caught and quite often have a bacterial infection. The standard treatment is Maracyn 1 and 2 at the same time for 10 days. Depending on the severity it may or may not bounce back. In loachy world it is referred to as "skinny disease". I do this to all my
new loaches in a qt tank to avoid this problem. I also treat with anti parasitics as they tend to be ich carriers as well.
Good luck

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Milwaukee Co2 and PH controller
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
Botia Kubotai and dwarf rainbows
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

maracyn 1 and 2 eh??? sounds good

thanks botia... I appreciate the advice
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

nothing like a little erithromycin

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

botia do you give them a half dose each of the maracyn one and two??

how do you dose it... sorry I'm a little confused

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode