Exclamation to snail or not to snail whats your opinion

just looking for advise on snails do they benefit your planted tank or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
I dont bother mine....

They arent too bad since I dont overfeed as much anymore.

I kinda like the aesthetic of having a little more than just the fish and plants for biodiversity.

RAOK- Help Spread the Hobby!

-Kurtis
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
I love the snails..... kind of. Rams horn; yes. MTS; yes. Pond snails; no. The pond snails do make good food for the DP though. Just a PITA to harvest out of the big tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I leave mine in there. The snails that I have don't eat plants (MTS, Ramshorn, pond, and nerites) and I don't have a whole lot due to lack of food.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Depends on the snail with me also. I put MTS in all of my tanks on purpose. The other snails I don't care so much about.

"Good judgment is the result of experience, experience is the result of bad judgment." --Mark Twain
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Whatever snails I have (haven't id'd them yet), eat holes in my crypt wendtii's, so I pick them out, otherwise I'd leave them in there b/c they look cool and eat stuff that other creatures don't, like algae on little ridges on plants etc

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I have pond, MTS, ramshorn, briggs, nerites - LOVE THEM ALL. I think they are nearly essential to a planted tank and all my tanks will always have snails. Don't kill 'em - learn to love 'em! They aren't hurting anything

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I agree with Jen ... they're a help in keeping things clean.

Keep Smilin'
John

"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
.................................John Wayne
disclaimer: When I took "The Dukes" quote as my signature, I was thinking of me, not you.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Yah I like them but they were def. eating my crypts, they were hurting things (my aesthetic appreciation of my crypts), and putting holes in the balansae too...

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
You don't really have a choice in whether or not you have snails. You'll get them sooner or later.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I put Nerites in my tanks... never again. So many unhatched eggs its very unsightly.. a real bugger to scrub off as well. One piece of wood has so many on it now its looking like fungus...sigh

Great algae eaters though lol.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Like it has been said over and over, it all depends on what kind and what you want to see in your tank. I have MTS and ram's in all my tank. And i kill all pond snails i see.

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:31 PM

With the exception of Malaysian Trumphet Snails which are the equivalent of earth worms for a planted tank substrate and good to have, other live bearing snails like pond snails are a a real PITA especially when they replicate like cockroaches. I started off with MTS in my tank and they did not bother me, even though they were always visible and kind of took away from the beauty of the tank. They left the plants alone. Then, somewhere down the line, some stupid pond snails made their way into the tank and before you know it they were multiplying like crazy(and no I did not have excess fish food in the tank as it was a plant only tank) and started eating holes through my Hygrophilia compact. Nothing looks more disgusting then plant leaves with holes in them.

Now, I disinfect all my plants in alum before placing them in the tank. There are other invertebrates that can help keep your tank clean(red cherry shrimp/amano shrimp) without punching holes in your plant leaves. Also keep in mind that snails when they begin multiplying like cockroaches can drive your tank bioload too high over time and if you have other fish in there, it will force you to do more frequent water changes just to prevent problems.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I am not sure if the conical snails I have in my tank are MTS. They don't really have the same markings as the pictures I have seen of MTS.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Planted Member

I would say snails won't do a whole lot for a tank, but if you're going for looks then go for it. Just make sure they're not asexual or you'll be sorry later . Are trumpets really beneficial to the substrate? They do add a certain beauty to the tank, but I've heard it does go out of hand when there are 20 or 30 of them on the bottom...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode