HELP!!!! Cloudy water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation HELP!!!! Cloudy water

i have just started my tank my thread is seedless, if you need info on the tank well yesterday i noticed that the water in my tank had a slight green haze too it so i decide to do a 50% water change i dose my thank with excel and flourish as well as Api algaefix and aqueon water clarifier and still looks haze and the only thing i run in my tank is purigen so i was asking what could be causing this i will post picture in a few

another question i have is how long does purigen last for i know you can recharge it but how many months does it last before i have to get another or recharge ?

Thank you guys for all you help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Algae Grower

Hmm, all you use for filter media is Purigen? No mechanical/biological media?

I highly recommend Seachem Matrix for bio media
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When you say you just started it how long are we talking, couple days or couple weeks?

If it has been less than 2-3 weeks that is fairly normal for a newly established tank. You just need to give it a couple weeks and let the bio load establish. Never use a water clarifier. They can sometimes make things worse than better. Check your water parameters and if everything looks good after a few weeks and you still have cloudy water you can throw a small bag of carbon in and it will clear it up in 48 hrs and seen a huge improvement in 12 hrs. You don't need carbon on a day to day basis or at all. It does help on stubborn cloudy water though. Once it is clear you can take it out as it has no use after that or if you can spare the room in your filter you can leave it, won't hurt anything. I would only use that ONLY if it has been a few weeks AND all your water parameters are normal. Cloudy water is way of your tank telling you there is something wrong and that should be attacked and resolved first. 9 times out of 10 if it is a new setup it will be cause by insufficient bio-load but after a few weeks once it gets established it will go away.

As far as the Purigen goes, did you rinse it good before putting it in your filter? You should be able to get at least 6 months if not longer depending on your load before you need to recharge it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Welcome to greenwater!

You have way too much light on that tank.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so would the best way to prevent the green water is by lowing my light cycle im a little confused because i have alot of plants and some are high demanding so what should i do and the tank has been up since October 22 and yes purigen is the only thing in the filter
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Long lightning cycle is definitely a good candidate for causing algae. What kind of fixture do you run and how long is your cycle?

If all you're running is Purigen then you have no bio filtration which is probably why you have cloudy water and may be some of your problem with your algae in addition to the lighting. Like was recommend, Seachem Matrix is really good, get some bio balls, pot scrubbies, something that will establish beneficial bacteria. You could establish a little bit from at least mechanical filtration but doesn't even sound like you have that.

So two places to start that need to be addressed.

1. Lighting, what fixture and how long are your cycles? If they are high output fixtures and if you're running longer than 8 hrs that needs to be cut back. Is the tank next to windows and getting any natural sunlight? All things that need to be addressed.

2. Get some beneficial bacteria to colonize in your filter with some proper media. Purigen can stay as it helps in other areas but you need to add something in addition to colonize BB. Purigen alone isn't sufficient.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
a correctly set up, and working, filter isn't going to do a thing for algae control. Sure, perhaps there are some types of bacteria that'll feed on algae spores. but the ones we're really concerned about are part of the nitrate cycle.

This tank has WAY too much light, no CO2, and no Ferts.

the algae is out competing the plants for nutrients because they're lacking enough resources themselves to grow quickly enough to out compete the algae.

A remedy might be to go dark for a few days. turn off your lights completely. leave the tank alone. the fish will be fine for a few days w/o food, and the plants w/o light. after around 72 hours turn one of the fixtures on, dim it if possible, and run less than 8 hours/day.

get yourself a co2 system and a fert regiment down. when you go high light you need co2 and ferts. with highlights, co2, and ferts you should see less algae and more plant growth. I have things that'll grow an inch a day.

you may have plants that have a high light demand, but they won't grow without enough co2 or ferts to do so. when that happens the algae take over.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well right now im only doesing my tank with excel and flouish by Seachem and the fixture i have is 2 finnex fuge rays 24 ' 7000k and yes sometime i do run the lights more than 8 hours so would the best thing be is only but both fixture for like 2 to 3 hours and then one for the rest of the day ?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
excel and flourish aren't going to do the job in a highlight tank. there still isnt enough co2 or nutrients being added to sustain the plant growth.

i think the best thing to do would be go dark for 2-3 days to kill off a bunch of algae, then run one fixture for 6-8 hours. start researching co2 systems and fertilizer.

lighting is going to be the biggest factor in whether or not algae grows. it does ultimately come down to the plants out competing the algae. algae need very little nutrients to be successful, plants need a lot more. without those nutrients your plants stop growing, and algae explodes when plants stop growing.

you need to provide the plants with everything they need to keep growing under whatever lighting condition you provide. high light requires real co2 and real ferts.

the only solution right now is to reduce your lighting.

Filtration is less of an issue... i don't run very much. Whatever bacteria grow on my plants and mechanical filtration is all I get. I will be adding some ceramic crap for the bacteria to grow on soon though. But you do need better filtration than what you've got. it won't really help your algae problem, but it will provide nitrates to the tank, and clear out any ammonia and nitrites that are in there potentially harming your fish.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

what are some good ferts i could buy and would a cheap 50$ flugel co2 system work ? ive seen those at my local Pet store, so you think it would be better to just run one light so 2 of those light is too much or what ?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
when going dark it is not only turning off the lights, but wrapping the tank and blocking out all light
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok well im back to the same issue the tank keeps clouding up normally takes about a week before its back to cloudy greenish yellowing water it starts cloudy white then turn greenish yellow and i did put a bag of carbon in and i use a water clarifier and algaefix and even made my diy co2 system and still irs turning cloudy help !!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

still cant get the green water under control AND I ONLY RUN ONE LIGHT
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you doing a complete blackout and is your UV sterilizer still running? It can take up to a week for the green water to clear with the UV depending on how bad it is. Complete blackout also means covering the tank or wrapping something around it so it gets total darkness with no ambient light.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

finally got the tank table i did a 80% water change and threw in a bag of carbon as well as added a diy co2 and stop doesing the water except for aquasafe and now my tank looks amazing thanks for all the help guys

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode