Do you use aquarium Software? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
Do you use aquarium Software?

Do you use any aquarium Software such as Aquarix or ReefConLT to manage your tanks? If similar functionality were to be added to the Planted Tank would you use it?

If so what features would you like to see included?

Expense tracker
Water Chemistry Tracker
Maintenance Log
Scheduled Event Manager
Automatic Reminders (by email or PM)
Anything Else?

I'm looking to see if there is any interest before I get started implementing this.

Please Send all Support Requests to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleT View Post
Do you use any aquarium Software such as Aquarix or ReefConLT to manage your tanks? If similar functionality were to be added to the Planted Tank would you use it?

If so what features would you like to see included?

Expense tracker
Water Chemistry Tracker
Maintenance Log
Scheduled Event Manager
Anything Else?

I'm looking to see if there is any interest before I get started implementing this.
I have never used anything like that but it sounds interesting. I like the sound of the last 3 on your list. I like anything that would help me stay a little more organized. I would use it. What about also working a fert calculator into it. One program has it all.

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:18 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use aqurix, but it is not complete enough.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Kyle, I use Aquarix, and frankly it's a godsend. If I actually have a clue as to what I'm doing, it is because in my first few years of this hobby I recorded everything - I mean EVERYTHING - I did to the tank in Aquarix. So when I had questions about what was happening, or what was going on when THAT particular algae hit, or before my XYZ fish died... I KNEW what the conditions were that may have lead to the event.

It was a very valuable tool to me in my learning.

If you are thinking about implementing something like that, IMO AQUARIX is a good place to start looking at a functionality. Personally I'm big on the event tracking and tank stock tracking (fish, plants, inverts). All the other stuff (financial tracking, reminders, charts) is just fluff IMO. Being able to record what you did, and then look that up later is it's greatest strength.

If I were to improve it, I would make it more able to record various measurements (like Potassium - not included in things it will accept a value for), and have a default mechanism for recording quantities of ferts (by type) added.

If you build it, and it's better than Aquarix, I for one, will use it!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reizao View Post
I use aqurix, but it is not complete enough.
What is missing from it?

Please Send all Support Requests to

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Zer
Algae Grower

I would love to use some software. How about releasing it as free open source under the GPL, and making it linux compatible to boot? Or maybe I am asking too much.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
I use freeware called Kirby Alarm
I set up all my maintenance tasks,
program them how to recycle, and
it reminds me when to do stuff.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have heard of people hooking up their computers to some controller for the aquarium that controls things like an autofeeder, autowater change, and things of that nature. How do you do those things?

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
I have heard of people hooking up their computers to some controller for the aquarium that controls things like an autofeeder, autowater change, and things of that nature. How do you do those things?
The method in which it accomplishes these tasks depends on the model you are using. For example, the Profilux (the model I'm using - yet to set it up) uses optical sensors to automate water changes by having a pre-set max. and min. level. The other features (lights, CO2, feeder, etc.) rely on a powerbar which is a computerized extension cord that interacts with the controller to automate anything connected to them. Some controllers, like the Aquatronica and Profilux, can even be used to automate dosing down to the 1 mL. The controller can then be controlled via your PC using a WLAN; this also comes in handy when trying to monitor pH, temp, TDS or any other probe you want to connect.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
What is missing from it?
The reminder only work with aquarix open when is better if is work memory resident. The reminders have no option to remember until action taken. Dosing ferts is a good implementation. A auto update plants, inverts and fish database is a good idea.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:

Expense tracker
Water Chemistry Tracker
Maintenance Log
Scheduled Event Manager
Anything Else?

Kyle,
Al of these features seem generic enough to implement through any standard microsoft software such as Excel or Access.

Are you looking for something that automates the functionality of some of your features on your setup such as an autowater changer, etc.? I know Sergio uses X10 controllers to provide remote access to his tank setup for his WCer, dosing, filters on/off, lights on/off, etc. This is all run through his computer (he can even control this stuff through his cell phone...lol)

Just throwing info at you here...

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I keep an aquarium journal. Well sort of, when I remember

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
I tried reefcon (trial verison) in the past, but I didn't like it - can't remember why exactly right now....but integrating aquarium maintenance/tasks with the computer (my two side hobbies) would be very interesting.

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:26 PM

i use a notebook for some things but i've never used any software

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode