15 gallon to play around with. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
15 gallon to play around with.

I've got a 15 gallon tank that needs a refresher. + I've also got a decent profit sharing check coming in tomorrow. + My next schedule travel is just a quick cross country jaunt the end of Feb. = Tank redesigning time!

Current setup:

two 23W CFL in an old hood,
Ancient & loud Whisper 10-20
Builders sand substrate.
Small swords & Vals I've been propagating in it.

I've also got 14 fish in QT in it to go to the 125g tank. They can get tossed into the two 10G growout tanks.

Current thought -Clean it back to the glass and silicone. Replace the filter, light, top, and substrate.

Limitations: May - October 50% travel or more with three or four 2 week International trips. Wife will dump pre-measured food and ferts into the tanks but refuses to touch the icky fishtanks more than that. Rules out CO2.

Objective: I've got an old rocking chair that I started to refinish to go into the house. After discovering how comfortable it is to drink scotch with my feet up in it, the project is on a 9 year hiatus from completion . I need a little piece of art to enjoy.

Suggestions or recommendations on a full setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so here is the ugly little thing today. The water level is low to increase O2 if I need to medicate. The slate is up on its side to give the new additions some place to hide and get over their initial stress. Tha algae is just happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_20131213_170318-976505220.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	246321  

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I've decided to do a deep soil base capped with Flora-max (carib sea). I've got a bag of miracle grow I just planted some tulips with that I'll use on the bottom.

I've also swapped out a new HOB that is much quieter than my antique. After listening to the thing for years is almost freaky how quite it is in the garage now. I of course just shoved in the sponge I've been using in the old one for many years in to the new filter. The fish are all re-homed into the Val & E. parviflorus tank next to it for now.

I think I'm going to grab a black background or maybe paint it black. I'm looking for a glass top and a decent light. Any suggestions for something that will fit over the top of a standard 15G?

I need to go rock hunting any maybe look for some nice wood pieces as well. Perhaps I'll keep my eye's open when I head up into the mountains next week.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I got started on it today. It is currently bubbling up lots of air from the soil underneath.

I thing I've decided on some scarlet badis, ottos, and maybe some pigmy cories. I'll toss in some black worms a month or so befor I add in any fish to give them a headstart.

Figure I'll add them in in a month or two. The soil is going to be leaching ammonia for a few months. The filter is established so it should only take a few days to acclimatize.

I'm thinking I should go pour myself a drink and kick back and relax now. I'm going to retrofit the hood with some T5 bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131221_183745.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	249561  

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Today the tank has lovely tea colored water. It's clear but brown. I expect it will take a dozen or so water changes to get the brown to leach out.

Now comes the trying part of a Low Tech tank where patience is needed. Going to have to wait until the tank is ready before adding in more stocking.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That's gonna be awesome!
You know pygmy cories, if we're talking C. Pygmaeus, are mid-water-ish swimmers, right? If you want bottom-dwellers, you need dwarf/dainty cories (C. Habrosus).
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
Today the tank has lovely tea colored water. It's clear but brown. I expect it will take a dozen or so water changes to get the brown to leach out.

Boyds Chemi-pure is excellant with dealing with the tea colored water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually the tea colored water kind of grows on ya. It makes the green pop really well. I tossed in a few malaysian trumpet snails today. They seem to be able to survive a nuclear holocaust. The previous tank always managed to kill them however.

These came out of my little 2.5 gallon I'm seeing how many cherry shrimp can fit into. (Seems to be around 30 adults). My water is really soft so I tossed in a couple of shells from the marine section. The scale at the LFS couldn't weigh that little so they charged me $0.20 for them ($3/lb). They thought it was funny when I complained about being overcharged.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just spent 3 days with the in-laws. I walked into the garage and looked at this tank and had to laugh.

It is now a coffee colored tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131226_214133.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	250889  

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Three 50% water changes later it now only has a hint of yellow. It will be interesting to see how much the peat based potting soil leaches this next week. I imagine it will take a few months to clear out.

On the plus side the plants seem to be growing well. No Crypt melt and new leaves on every plant. Looks like a good start.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

FYI I totally cycled my tank without fish or added ammonia just from leaching MGOPS. I would watch your levels closely before adding fish, and also so you don't wait too long to add after your nitrites finally hit zero. I think mine actually cycled in about 3 weeks or so.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I didn't use the organic because i don't plan on adding fish for 2-3 months. Its got good ole ammonium nitrate in the time release balls.

I'm am using an established filter media on the tank. So since its beeen a few days the tank is probably cycled. I'm pretty oldschool with my tanks and have never owned or used a test kit. I figure time, patience, and good practices pretty much eliminate the need for this.

BTW not too long for bacteria is around 6 months to a year after the tank is cycled. Nitrifying bacteria dieing of without food quickly is a complete myth.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got an answer to how much leaching would happen... tons. Back to coffee colored water.

I found some manzanita wood that I picked up years ago in the desert. I wonder how long it will take to sink.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131229_195337.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	252193  

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I decided to try my hand at going ultra low maintenance.

I've added in 1oz of blackworms. They immediately burrowed down and wave their behinds in the water. I didn't think about this before but they are making a thin film of worm castings on the surface.

The dwarf sag, crypt "lutea", & wenditii ant rotalla are all growing exceptionally well. The rotalla is of course doing the best and spreading like I hoped. Th e dwarf sags are multiplying like they tend to do.

I tossed in some cherry shrimp from the little 2.5 gallon. They immediate hid underneath the rocks. Then I went and picked up 3 scarlet badis. I lost one within 24 hours but the other two are happy.

I tried to get a picture of one of them but he turned into a blur getting a blackworm. Man they can attack fast.

I also notice that I've managed to aquire some seed shrimp. They are native near my house in vernal pools. The scarlet badis love them and spend time picking them off the glass. Since they are algae eaters and food for the fish I couldn't be happier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140118_191643.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	262178  

Name:	20140118_191621.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	262186  

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Algae Grower

Looks amazing great job.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode