Looking for Feedback--C02 Equipment page.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Looking for Feedback--C02 Equipment page....

Hi Everybody,

I put together a webpage about C02 Equipment. I will add some pix later when I get to it. I'm just looking for Feedback on the Quality of the Content: What to add, what may need to be changed or subtracted, mis-spelled words, etc, etc, etc.

C02 Equipment

Thanx!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
A lot of information seems a bit biased to me. A little more research into this would result in a better page. Just off hand I have some corrections, I just don't feel like typing any up. Maybe you should try all the regulators before having a page that "reviews" them. Wouldn't that make sense?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 2 cents

First of all, thanks for taking the time to put together something like this for people like me. I also appreciate the chance to provide feedback. I read the whole thing from beginning to end, and I have to say the information is very useful, but the typing style makes it hard to read. You capitalize words randomly it seems, and that makes me pause to see if I've missed a period or not understood something. (example: I don't know much of anything about Robert's C02 Equipment. Not sure how many he's Sold or is Selling, but I'm not hearing complaints about his C02 stuff. So, for now, You are on Your own with this one.) In the example, equipment, sold, selling, you and your do not need to be capitalized.

As for the content, again I find it very informative. I do tend to agree with the comment before mine that your prejudices come out in your comments, but you never indicated it was going to be anything but your own opinions, so I take it for what it is, your opinion. That being said, I've followed your posts, and I value your opinion.

Judging from the statistics I have read pertaining to the users of this forum and it's main competitor, there are a lot of people in this hobby who are in the early years of adulthood. They may not be in a position to afford the top of the line, and so your comments regarding the mid range gear was useful too. For those of us who have a wife who quietly indulges our hobby that info was useful too. :-)

All in all, good info, but IMHO it would benefit from some typing improvements.

Thanks again,

EG

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 PM

Forgot one thing

I am curious as to the logic that says it is safe to put CO2 into the intake of a cannister filter, but it is a bad idea to use certain airline materials for transport. I know CO2 degrades certain materials over time, but would it not have the same effect on the seals and such inside a cannister filter? I personally would much rather build a reactor than potentially put in jeopardy the integrity of the seals on my cannister. Maybe the manufacturers use materials that can stand up to the CO2, but that question lingers in my mind.

Thanks,

EG
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveenedy
Overall I like where your going with the page. I would definitely start adding some images. Also, you are providing links to Rex's site (which I'm sure he appreciates), but not the the other companies you mention. It would be nice to have those links as well.

Keep it up!

dave
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoGeek View Post
I am curious as to the logic that says it is safe to put CO2 into the intake of a cannister filter, but it is a bad idea to use certain airline materials for transport. I know CO2 degrades certain materials over time, but would it not have the same effect on the seals and such inside a cannister filter? I personally would much rather build a reactor than potentially put in jeopardy the integrity of the seals on my cannister. Maybe the manufacturers use materials that can stand up to the CO2, but that question lingers in my mind.

Thanks,

EG
Good point, but I don't see how it would be any major problem for a canister filter, as running water through any filter that has already had CO2 added to it in any other method would still mean CO2 rich water is flowing through the filter. While using the impeller of a canister filter to mix the CO2 could present a problem of faster long-term wear on the canister filter more so than any other method, I assume that effect would be negligible and that you would have the same types of materials degradation over time through standard use.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
I had trouble getting past all the capitalized words as well. They became so distracting I had a difficult time focusing on what I was reading. They're really to the point of being annoying.

That said, I think the web page could be very helpful for people who are new to pressurized CO2 and are trying to make sense of their options.

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Anything made available that add to the info that is there for those that are getting into the hobby is a good thing. and for that I certainly appreciate your effort of creating the page. Of course everything typed on your page is drawn from your own exp and what you have learned. and of course some of those things will conflict with what others opinions are. But they are still options reguardless of peopes personal opinions. And since you cover multiple options in those areas I don't see a problem with the inclusions of them. for some CO2 injection thru the cannister or HOB works. Altho HOBs with CO2 injection is generally counter productive. (you might make mention of that.)

Personally I have no problem reading past random caps. But for those that are not as De-advanced (lol) as us they might have trouble keeping up. So You might consider, as stated before, clearing Up those road blocks for people who hAve trouble breaking up or Not breaking up sentences Due to random capItaliZatiOnS.

Aside from that again I say bravo for taking the time to put this up. Keep it a work in progress and as you learn more and gain more insight's add to it.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Thanx for the input everybody! I reduced the random caps, added some pix, a brief section on pH controllers. Its about done, but not completely.

Any more input would be great!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would say that it is probably not a good idea to run CO2 directly into the canister filter without something that breaks the bubbles up (like an inline reactor). CO2 bubbles can jam the impeller, can't they?

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
I would say that it is probably not a good idea to run CO2 directly into the canister filter without something that breaks the bubbles up (like an inline reactor). CO2 bubbles can jam the impeller, can't they?
realy depends on the design of the cannister and if it flows thru the media before or after the impeller.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode