If you boil water first. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you boil water first.

other than killing bacteria and such in the water do it change the water chemistry?

also do you still need to dose with prime?(assuming tap water for both questions.)

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Boiling will change it a bit depending on how long you boil. It will let some gases escape and if boiled long enough so that a lot of water vapor is lost, the mineral content will be somewhat stronger. But to make a lot of difference will take lots of boiling. Look at the inside of an old tea kettle for an extreme example of what boiling leaves behind.
I guess my first question might be why you would boil tap water?
Part of the answer depends on what is in the tap water. City water with chlorine, or city water with chloramine, or neither?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Boiling will change it a bit depending on how long you boil. It will let some gases escape and if boiled long enough so that a lot of water vapor is lost, the mineral content will be somewhat stronger. But to make a lot of difference will take lots of boiling. Look at the inside of an old tea kettle for an extreme example of what boiling leaves behind.
I guess my first question might be why you would boil tap water?
Part of the answer depends on what is in the tap water. City water with chlorine, or city water with chloramine, or neither?

i was cooking some broccoli stems for all my bottom and feeders, and was thinking i would dump the water in the tank for the bamboo shrimp to feed on.

city water with chlorsomething.

Will

on Facebook.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Right! That makes sense. I was thinking you might be worried about bacteria, etc. No worry on a small amount like that poured in the tank. The water won't change enough to matter and even the small amount of chlorine or chloramine is not a worry.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Chlorine will dissipate 100% from boiled water, but I'm not sure about chloromine. Its a little bit harder to get rid of. But assuming you're not adding to a 5g or less tank you should be ok adding a pot of water to a tank with not much worry about any residual chloromines.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

While I don't want to downplay what happens if we don't use some way to remove chlorine, I also think we get way too carried away with the amount of worry we do. It's my thinking that a tiny amount never hurt anybody. I got around to rereading the contents on Flourish tabs that lots of folks use. They have Chlorine (CL) in them! Got copper and iron in them too just in case anybody really wants to have kittens!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 04:59 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I for one, tend to agree. Chlorine in small amounts is ok. The problem is the unknown on how much you are adding from your tap water unless you have a chlorine test. That's why we eliminate it so we don't accidentally overdose with chlorine and kill our fishy friends.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 05:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I did that once. It was a sad day, I had no idea what was happening. I had just moved into the city, switching from well water to city water. I lost everything. Poor little guys. I'm very careful with water changes now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode