Urgent request !!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Urgent request !!!

This "thread" is originally from this forum:
http://www.aquariumforum.com/gallery...hp?photo=16690
I would like to know if it is considered valid info. In response to my using it to show another person what a deficiency
looked like, another person replied that this forum no longer gives any credibility to it and does not wish for it
to be used as a reference any longer. If this is true, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm getting a "Forbidden" message when navigating the provided URL. It says I don't have proper permissions to view the thread. I think they want you to be a member first.

I posted a few links in this short thread that may or may not support your conversation/link.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=499889

Hey, your from Hot Springs, I'm very close to there. Pm me if you are ever interested in a Kribensis pair (not for another 2-3 weeks). I also have trimmings of hygro corymbosa "stricta" and some crypt "green Gecko" I'll be moving to make room if you are interested. I'll probably trim over the weekend. If not, then hello from another Arkansan!

Now, back to the topic. I can't access the URL. Maybe others can.

Cheers!

Last edited by KribsDirect; 12-12-2013 at 04:24 AM. Reason: .
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KribsDirect View Post
I'm getting a "Forbidden" message when navigating the provided URL. It says I don't have proper permissions to view the thread. I think they want you to be a member first.

I posted a few links in this short thread that may or may not support your conversation/link.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=499889

Hey, your from Hot Springs, I'm very close to there. Pm me if you are ever interested in a Kribensis pair (not for another 2-3 weeks). I also have trimmings of hygro corymbosa "stricta" and some crypt "green Gecko" I'll be moving to make room if you are interested. I'll probably trim over the weekend. If not, then hello from another Arkansan!

Now, back to the topic. I can't access the URL. Maybe others can.

Cheers!
Likely cause your not a member. I didn't think about that.
I will research the fish(?) and the plants to see. I have two TENg tanks so very picky about what goes in there mostly
over size. I keep Banded Pigmy sunfish in both so really any fish are out of the question cause I have one Betta in one of
the tanks with them and some Least Killi fish in the other tank with the other Banded Pigmy sunfish.
I'm right by the Bathhouses in Hot Springs, by about 9 blocks anyway. Off tomorrow so going down by the lake to "collect"
anything I see. Driftwood/rocks etc while the lake is low and he sun is out. Walking around in the mud like a kid...love it.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Hi Raymond, can you please pm me the name of that person and yes the photo is of valid info.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Why is this an "urgent request!!!" ?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Urgent request:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
Why is this an "urgent request!!!" ?
I guess it wouldn't be to some. But if a person was looking for an answer to what might be effecting his plants
and some person trashed his answer to that person, wouldn't you think it wise to find out if in fact the info
which you supplied was valid and wouldn't you want to get back to the original question asker as soon as
you could ? I certainly don't want to use the chart on the link if it's not valid. But until I ask, I'll not
know one way or the other. If it's not valid, I'll say so to the person who asked about his plants rather than
have him rely on that chart. If it is in fact valid, then you know someone is spreading false info about this forum.
Either way, I'm just in need of finding out if it is valid info currently being used.
I suppose the "Urgent" is all mine.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
For the sake of others, I made and account and down loaded the photo OP is talking about
Attached Images

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Gem, I overlooked that. Still would like to know if it is considered valid info today. Wouldn't want to suggest it
as a guide if not. Kinda hoping for some sort of "official word" on it from a moderator here perhaps.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
If it helps at all, this is the chart I was give a while back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plantdeficiency.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	246041  

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Great. But it does look as though I have both a Nitrate and a Phosphate deficiency as both of those symptoms are
happening in one plant(wisteria) that I have.
I started using a low level Macro designed for once a week doses about three weeks ago.
It would seem that by now the plant would have stopped canibalizing it's self.
Once a week I use 1/4 teaspoon of the Nitrate and 1/32nd teaspoon of the Phosphate. in my ten G tank.
It also gets 1ml of Flourish Comprehensive and 5ml of Tetra Pride at that time plus daily 1ml Excel
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like the both the charts and find having something to look at is better than nothing. But then I also have reason to believe that it can't be so simple as looking at a picture to diagnose what's wrong. I have sure signs of nitrogen and phosphate deficient plants. I also have numerous tests that indicate that my nitrogen and phosphate routinely run way high.
I also notice that the two charts show quite different leaves for phosphate.
Maybe both charts are correct but each is found in different water and tanks?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Thanks Gem, I overlooked that. Still would like to know if it is considered valid info today. Wouldn't want to suggest it
as a guide if not. Kinda hoping for some sort of "official word" on it from a moderator here perhaps.
The words of a moderator are not official with respects to knowledge. The moderation team keeps the forum environment friendly for users

There are many users here that are more knowledgeable than me in certain fields.

Of course, we all have our own strengths and weaknesses.

As for the images that are linked above, they appear to be for terrestrial plants, so must be taken as generalized information.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The words of a moderator are not official with respects to knowledge. The moderation team keeps the forum environment friendly for users

There are many users here that are more knowledgeable than me in certain fields.

Of course, we all have our own strengths and weaknesses.

As for the images that are linked above, they appear to be for terrestrial plants, so must be taken as generalized information.
Perhaps no as they relate to a guarantee of accuracy, but as being supported by the forum(in general) as opposed to a random
belief of a few...was the hope of...as in a co-signing of/support thereof etc. I did not state it in my question, but the person who
made the suggestion that the info was incorrect stated that "many on here don't like it being used as a guide"/"do not support it's
use."
And I'll conclude with this on the second statement in the opening section of this: On this forum perhaps they do. But I've been on
at least two(2) forums where at least one moderator thought they had been crowned "Master and Ruler of the Universe" and were
charged with the punishment of any individual who might dare offer any info not sanctioned by them personally.
And I have never been more serious. In fact, it's the very reason I came here to this forum...to avoid such as them.
One of those forums was for/about fishing and most of the members on it addressed the King as "Boss" YES Boss. HEY Boss etc.
They were all shaking in their boots that "he" might not approve of something they did. True statement...one sold fishing
supplies. I asked about some hooks. He said why don't I bring them to "the gathering at DeGrey so you don't pay shipping/"
I replied "Great but I haven't been on the forum for a while, when is it ?" He barred me from his e-mail out of fear that
the king might find out that he sold to "an outsider" because I asked that question. Do you believe it ?
I really like this place and on one occasion referred to it as "a bit of Heaven on earth" in one of my replies.
I do realize the info is not "iron clad" but rather just a helpful tool. Thank you...
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 03:40 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Raymond, do you have access to a camera? If you post close up photographs of the plants I can likely tell you what the problem is.

Quote:
Good on you mate, I've definitely seen some moderators (on other forums) like Raymond described but TPT seems pretty fair as far as that goes. A moderator's role is keeping the peace, and also keeping spam off the forum.

Quote:
The second image linked above was originally made by me and it is tailored to aquatic plants (originally posted here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...e-diagram.html). Hariom on APC made a second version of my diagram using photoshop and plant leaves. He chose terrestrial plant leaves for some reason, but his work is pretty close to what the actual deficiencies on plants look like.
Originally posted here:http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...y-diagram.html

I'm also working on a database of deficiencies (which will be formatted better soon), you can page through the temporary version here for now: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...es/category/12

But rather than try self diagnose, post good photos of all damaged areas of the plant and of other plants showing symptoms and I'll do it for you. Some deficiencies/toxicities can look very similar.

Also, just so you know, you cannot have more than 1 deficiency at a time, but you can have a toxicity and a deficiency at the same time or multiple toxicities.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Perhaps no as they relate to a guarantee of accuracy, but as being supported by the forum(in general) as opposed to a random
belief of a few...was the hope of...as in a co-signing of/support thereof etc. I did not state it in my question, but the person who
made the suggestion that the info was incorrect stated that "many on here don't like it being used as a guide"/"do not support it's
use."
Even as such, moderators cannot/will not guarantee the accuracy of anything on the forums. In the end, it is up to the (end) user to figure out what is best or not. There may be some general consensus on the forums, but perhaps 10 or 20 years down the road, there will be some new scientific evidence that throws everything we currently believe to be true into turmoil.

Quote:
And I'll conclude with this on the second statement in the opening section of this: On this forum perhaps they do. But I've been on
at least two(2) forums where at least one moderator thought they had been crowned "Master and Ruler of the Universe" and were
charged with the punishment of any individual who might dare offer any info not sanctioned by them personally.
And I have never been more serious. In fact, it's the very reason I came here to this forum...to avoid such as them.
The moderation team here tries to be fair in the decision making process. Most of the time, there are no issues, but when major problems arise, we work as a team to try to reach a good solution. The only time we issue bans is when they are warranted (and also to spammers )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
Good on you mate, I've definitely seen some moderators (on other forums) like Raymond described but TPT seems pretty fair as far as that goes. A moderator's role is keeping the peace, and also keeping spam off the forum.
If you see any spam, be sure to press the "report" button to let us know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
But rather than try self diagnose, post good photos of all damaged areas of the plant and of other plants showing symptoms and I'll do it for you. Some deficiencies/toxicities can look very similar.

Also, just so you know, you cannot have more than 1 deficiency at a time, but you can have a toxicity and a deficiency at the same time or multiple toxicities.
Good advice. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Also, it is impossible to diagnose with 100% accuracy what deficiencies are; in some ways, we are doctors for our plants

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode