Water Change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Change?

I was reading a post about EI Dosing and Tom made a comment in regards to water change, twice or three times a week is suggested if the tank is under a year old to keep it clean and helps with algae. Anyone ever done this? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I do not know about under a year, but the 1st 1-2 months it'll help a lot.
Amano does it, I do it, ADG does it.

Certainly many more folks have better start up and then once the tank is nice and full, well established, it's pretty tough and resistant to problems.

So yes, a few folks do it. The wiser more experienced ones.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
I see the benefits of water changes. I only do one big one per week, but when growing out fish or medicating or suspecting disease I up it to twice or daily. So it must be a good thing.

-Jacklyn

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

Certainly many more folks have better start up and then once the tank is nice and full, well established, it's pretty tough and resistant to problems.

so what would the schedule look like if you do 2, 50% water changes a week?
M: Macros
T: Micros
W: 50% WC/GH Booster/Macros
Th: Micros
F: Macros
Sat: Micros
Sun: 50% WC/GH Booster
??
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy B View Post
so what would the schedule look like if you do 2, 50% water changes a week?
M: Macros
T: Micros
W: 50% WC/GH Booster/Macros
Th: Micros
F: Macros
Sat: Micros
Sun: 50% WC/GH Booster
??
I have also heard about doing them 2-3 times a week for the first month but, that is a good question. I never thought about the dosing schedule. So what would the dosing schedule be if you doing WC 2-3 times a week since you normally don't dose on days you doing WC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I assume that you still follow the regular dosing schedule except Sunday. I guess I'm due for a water change tomorrow.

Quote:

Tom, this is the one I'm referring to and quote:

Do a decent water change 1x week. Say 50-60%. See the DIY water changers using the garden hose and PVC hang on hooks.

Do not fall for BS about not needing to do water changes, every decent top scaper in the world does them. I do them, ADA suggest it, it's good all the way around. Makes keeping things clean, well groomed, reduces algae issues.

New tanks should get them 2-3 xa week for at least 12 month till things grow in and settle down. Then you can modify and try different routines.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-11-2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 05:51 AM
Algae Grower

I followed this when starting my second tank and I can say it made a tremendous difference compared to my first one. Much less problems in the beginning and down the road. Only had one issue with algae compared to many with my first tank and much more stable parameters, I'm a believer.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What I'll do is 20% mid week and 50% sunday. I don't mind doing water change especially I only have a small tank, although I do 50/50 tap/ro.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
There's the typo,

It should read 1-2 months, not 12.

It does no harm to do more water changes, it'll only help, but we often find after the tank grows in, there's not as much benefit.

Slower growing tanks with slow growing low demand species will also have much less need, or a non CO2 might not have any need for a water change if set up correctly, just top offs for water replacement from evaporation.

Really depends on the tanks and how folks approach things. Each tank will have its own issues and often times, if things go bad, water changes fix a lot and then you can focus on the root issues etc.
Almost always a good idea to do them rather than avoid them.

Examples:

My 120 Gallon, I';ll do 2x a week, 60-70%. I dose after the water change. I dose traces daily for the most part.

My 180, maybe 1-2x a week water changes 75%, dose 2x a week and daily for traces.

70 Gallon Buce tank, maybe once a month, 50%, dose 2x a week lightly.
Traces, 3x a week.

120 = gardened intensively, uprooting etc.
180= moderate gardening, less light
70, not much gardening, no uprooting, maybe 1/4-1/3 the light in the other two.

Fast, moderate and slow rates of growth and plant species chosen.

Could I do more water changes in the 70? Sure, would I get much return for the labor? No, not really. I still did them for awhile and error on MORE rather than LESS.

You can then taper off and note the aquarium and plant responses from less ferts, or less water changes, or less light or less CO2 etc.

But start high initially.
Then vary one thing at a time.
Once you see something negative, then you revert back to the last highest dosing or frequency. This way you target the best growth, with the least amount of input.

You do not start out not doing any water changes and then slowly increase them to see. By then you have stunted plants, algae etc. Same is true for dosing ferts. You start at a non limiting amount, then reduce slowly.
Then way the plants are happy from the start and you only see the more subtle issues when the ferts run out. Then you bump back up to the last highest dosing or frequency etc etc.

Some might have like my 70 gallon and think ALL aquarist should/do have similar tanks and thus should do that same easier routine.
This is poor logic frankly and makes a large insurmountable assumption.
The 70 Gallon is now very easy to maintain, but there's no way I could do that on my 120 Gallon tank.

Just keep that in the back of your mind as you think about and read things about water changes.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
There's the typo,

It should read 1-2 months, not 12.

It does no harm to do more water changes, it'll only help, but we often find after the tank grows in, there's not as much benefit.

Slower growing tanks with slow growing low demand species will also have much less need, or a non CO2 might not have any need for a water change if set up correctly, just top offs for water replacement from evaporation.

Really depends on the tanks and how folks approach things. Each tank will have its own issues and often times, if things go bad, water changes fix a lot and then you can focus on the root issues etc.
Almost always a good idea to do them rather than avoid them.

Examples:

My 120 Gallon, I';ll do 2x a week, 60-70%. I dose after the water change. I dose traces daily for the most part.

My 180, maybe 1-2x a week water changes 75%, dose 2x a week and daily for traces.

70 Gallon Buce tank, maybe once a month, 50%, dose 2x a week lightly.
Traces, 3x a week.

120 = gardened intensively, uprooting etc.
180= moderate gardening, less light
70, not much gardening, no uprooting, maybe 1/4-1/3 the light in the other two.

Fast, moderate and slow rates of growth and plant species chosen.

Could I do more water changes in the 70? Sure, would I get much return for the labor? No, not really. I still did them for awhile and error on MORE rather than LESS.

You can then taper off and note the aquarium and plant responses from less ferts, or less water changes, or less light or less CO2 etc.

But start high initially.
Then vary one thing at a time.
Once you see something negative, then you revert back to the last highest dosing or frequency. This way you target the best growth, with the least amount of input.

You do not start out not doing any water changes and then slowly increase them to see. By then you have stunted plants, algae etc. Same is true for dosing ferts. You start at a non limiting amount, then reduce slowly.
Then way the plants are happy from the start and you only see the more subtle issues when the ferts run out. Then you bump back up to the last highest dosing or frequency etc etc.

Some might have like my 70 gallon and think ALL aquarist should/do have similar tanks and thus should do that same easier routine.
This is poor logic frankly and makes a large insurmountable assumption.
The 70 Gallon is now very easy to maintain, but there's no way I could do that on my 120 Gallon tank.

Just keep that in the back of your mind as you think about and read things about water changes.
I kinda thought that was a typo, but yeah, I'll start doing 2x a week water change just little less for the mid week one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode