Strangest aquarium inhabitant death you have had - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question Strangest aquarium inhabitant death you have had

Hey guys, I just had a really strange discovery today, not a happy one, but baffling and I thought it might be interesting to hear some stories about the wierd things people have seen their aquarium residents do.

I was doing some aquarium maintanence and I needed to change the filter flow on my Fluval edge. I had not changed the flow for a few weeks for whatever reason. The intake pipe seemed to be stuck, it wouldnt move over to the left to let in more flow. I finally removed the cover to see what the problem was....it was one of my nerite snails! A small one, right above the impeller blocking the path of the intake tube. I even heard the shell start grazing the impeller as I tried to fish it out. I immediately turned off the filter and resumed trying to grab the snail with my fingers (nearly impossible). Then the snail drops right down the hold into the impeller chamber . I have to take the filter out of the housing and over to the sink where I can remove the motor. When I do I finally get the shell out. Dead snail . I pretty much expected this.

The wierd thing is I can only come up with one way he made it in there. My intake has a prefilter sponge on it. I believe he climbed up the intake tube. went right and climbed up the outflow ramp onto the filter media bag and then left again over the filter chamber into the intake chamber. what?! Strangest and most elaborate james bond suicide I have had to date. Any other stories out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I lost 2 minnows in the same tank, but they left no corpses, and the tank had a lid. They just vanished. And they were the largest tank inhabitants. And there is no way my clean-up crew is that effective.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Had a Chinese Algae Eater isolated in a tank in my fish room. He leaped from that tank into one with no heater. Don't know if shock killed him immediately or what.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
Fish jumped out of tank, cat ate him. I can imagine the thought process of my cat while I was away at work. "Hey whats that flapping sound in the fish room? Guess I will get down off the bed where I lay all day and go check it out, what is this a snack?? Hmm, guess it is my lucky day, now back to sleep"

-Jacklyn
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Two baby (one inch) Bettas vanished. Separate occasions but both in 4 days after putting them into the tank. No shrimp or other predators
but no bodies either. And no fish shaped potato chips on the floor. Admittedly there are lots of hid spaces though.
Those were about 30-60 days apart from each other. The replacement 60 days later after I made up my mind to try it again has been
in there for about 2 weeks now. Bettas do eat tiny bugs so I'm guessing this jumping thing is a predator thing instead of anything else
it might be. The one piece glass cover does not secure the entire top. A 1" space at one end and 3" space at the other still exist.
The 1" is for heater line and air line. The 3" is for tweezers/feeding. Built in DIY bio-only filter run by air line.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Algae Grower

An assassin snail squeezed itself into the screen of my powerhead. It was stuck inside the screen while its shell was stuck outside.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
When I was a teen and new to fishkeeping,I kept one Jack Dempsey,and one Oscar in 55 gal from the size of two inches till both were nearly eight inches.(about a year)
Came home from school and the Oscar had been literally shredded with both eyes missing.
These two fish alway's got along, and even slept/rested in same upturned flower pot.
Guess as the Dempsey became larger,,he did not appreciate the competition for food.
Dempsey lived for another three year's till I went away on consruction job and brother failed to take care of the fish as he promised.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
I had taken some zucchini to feed to my RCS that I had frozen the week before. But somehow it had went bad or the container hand' been washed very well. Came back to 100+ dead shrimp....It was terrible
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I set up a tank for my girlfriend (now wife) a few years back. One of the inhabitants was a baby red-tailed shark. The shark disappeared soon after introducing to the tank... I never found it. It wasn't in the tank, it wasn't on the floor, it wasn't on the filter, it was NOWHERE. She didn't have any cats or dogs to eat a fish corpse off the floor or anything. The only other fish in the tank were harlequin rasboras.

I will never understand what happened to that fish. When she moved out years later and I moved the furniture I was still looking for a corpse... nada.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
1) Had a neon tetra disappear. Searched in and around the tank, no corpse. Found it months later when changing a light - it was stuck inside the spiral CFL.

2) Had a betta disappear. Hard to lose a fish this big. Searched but never found it anywhere. Still wondering about this one, and whether I'll move someday to find a "betta chip".

3) Had a bamboo shrimp. Would sit on an anubia leaf in front of the filter outflow, a favorite spot. Sometimes when doing filter maintenance it would take a blast of CO2 in the face, which didn't seem to bother it. Except once. Didn't respond or move at all, just slid off the leaf half a minute later, dead.

4) All the ramshorn snails in one tank disappeared. By the time I realized I hadn't seen one in a while, I found they'd all been sucked against the intake of a small powerhead I'd just put in, unable to get free, and perished. There was probably two hundred on there, packed several layers deep.

5) A few days ago, I found a dead celestial pearl danio in bed with me. Guess it must have slipped out unnoticed with some stem plants I'd moved into a container on the bed, while doing a rescape the night before. As the mafia would say, I sleep with the fishes.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 04:52 AM
Algae Grower

I had 2 juvenile guppies vanish from a tank. Checked all throughout the tank and filter and all around the floor, never found them.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Stingray died from being egg bound. Years ago, but rather weird to me at the time.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebugs View Post
I lost 2 minnows in the same tank, but they left no corpses, and the tank had a lid. They just vanished. And they were the largest tank inhabitants. And there is no way my clean-up crew is that effective.
Do you have cats? I had the same mystery until I caught someone fishing through an opening in the lid that was no bigger than a paw.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Algae Grower

Just recently I moved 13 neon tetras into a 28 gallon tank by themselves. The tank had been cycled for 3 weeks in which the first week I used Seachem stabilizer. All the readings where perfect. A day later, I could only count 12 but could not find any bodies. I chalked it up to a miscount the previous day, but did tests anyway and they all came back good. On the 3rd day, I could only count 9. Still no bodies. Ran 2 different tests, Checked under the driftwood, cleaned out the HOB, searched around the tank. I looked everywhere and couldn't find the carcasses. There where no other fish in the tank at the time so I know they couldn't have been consumed.

Its been almost 2 weeks now and since then, I've added 2 small angels and a BN Pleco. I haven't lost any more fish. I have been testing perimeters every other day. Still no sign of the missing fish. The angels have been super shy thought, constantly hiding in the back corner, only coming out for food. It makes you wonder if the tank is haunted, or maybe 13 really is an unlucky number.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post

3) Had a bamboo shrimp. Would sit on an anubia leaf in front of the filter outflow, a favorite spot. Sometimes when doing filter maintenance it would take a blast of CO2 in the face, which didn't seem to bother it. Except once. Didn't respond or move at all, just slid off the leaf half a minute later, dead.
I also had an odd bamboo shrimp death. I had mine jump out and I looked around the floor and stand for a while. Couldn't find him at all. The next day I was cleaning my room and I found him under my bed!

Also had a 55 with some goldfish (during my first months keeping fish lol) and put in some cherry shrimp. All of them except a few that hid got eaten (pretty much had a very expensive lunch), and one jumped out and landed right on my light strip bulb and cooked. Found it later when I was changing the bulb.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode