How to ship fish and plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
How to ship fish and plants

Ok, i am going to be selling some of my fish soon over the internet, and i basically need a crash course on shipping.

the first thing that i need to do is get kordon breather bags

after that, should i fill them all the way to the top, or just like halfway? These only for fish or for plants AND fish.

Next, what kind of shipping do i want? i don't have a UPS store or FedEx store around so does this mean that it would have to be shipped by USPS?

What else should go in with the boxes? bubble wrap, shipping peanuts, news paper?

finally, how do i know how much the shipping will cost me? do i just the prefered method of shipping and zip code from the customer, and get a quote at a store or online?

Thanks!

Too poor to keep any tanks up
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I don't ship fish, but as for plants I would not use the breather bags. The breather bags are supposed to have no air gaps within the bag... just water. They don't work worth a crap for plants, IMHO.

I haven't found anything better than wrapping the plant(s) in filter floss ( a small amount per bag), and then spraying 2-3 sprays of distilled water ( I keep some in a gardening-type spraybottle), then sealing bag so that the filter floss takes up all the bag space.

I got some plants mailed to me this way and they looked like they just came out of the tank 3-4 days later when I took them out of the bag, so I adopted the method as well.

I use slightly crumpled newspaper to pad the box a bit. For a moderate amount of plants, I like to use the USPS's new " shoe box". For very few, those thin rectangular boxes work well and come in a few different sizes.

About the Kordon bags... they will add a LOT of weight to the box, especially if shipping multiple bags. Usually a flat rate priority box ( they have a decent rectangular one) will cut down the costs if shipping 2-3 bags.

"Good judgment is the result of experience, experience is the result of bad judgment." --Mark Twain
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok, thanks.

i know that there are tons of other people out there who ship stuff. so please let me know how you do it!

thanks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (138/100%)
i wrap my plants in paper towels and moisten the towel, making sure it is damp enough. i used to ship plants in ziploc bags and tape the top (that worked perfectly fine) but now i have a plastic sealer

after that, i wrap the plastic bag in newspaper, toss it in a padded envelope or box and ship it usps priority or first class, depending on what it is and where it is going.

I've had people ship plants to me in filter floss, newspaper, just water and most of the time it turns out fine. I guess it depends on transit time, moisture, and how much your postman loves his job.

if you ship fish, i would not trust usps express. i've had their service arrive in an UNTIMELY manner (aka not next day, or the day after that, etc etc). For important things, I would ship Fedex or UPS. For larger packages (like for fish tanks and such) I think Fedex and UPS are cheaper sometimes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok, thanks for that.

as for the shipping, wouldn't usps be responsible if they didn't deliver it on time if i paid for express and if they are in a one-day zone?

thanks again

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefan13 View Post
ok, thanks for that.

as for the shipping, wouldn't usps be responsible if they didn't deliver it on time if i paid for express and if they are in a one-day zone?

thanks again
http://webapps.usps.com/expressmailc...ng.jsp?origin=

I think they would only refund your shipping cost.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode