Accurately counting bubbles per second - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Accurately counting bubbles per second

I have been curious about this and was wondering how others do this. I don't have a problem at the moment with my CO2 but I have read people who say they run 2-5+ BPS. What is the trick to accurately counting this and knowing you're actually doing that or is most just guessing and estimating that is how many BPS they are doing. I mean anything over 2 BPS seems to be a challenge to count so I can't imagine 3+. Am I missing something or is there a trick to this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Count it for a set amount of time and then divide whatever number you have by the amount of seconds you counted.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
or don't count at all and depend on parameters/drop checker?

i can't even count mine. a picture shows 2 bubbles, but that is within less than a second

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Count the bubbles for a longer period, say 10 seconds and divide by ten.
The longer you count, the more accurate your result will be.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Bubble count doesn't tell you anything about concentration of c02. For example, pumping 5bps through a good diffuser versus no diffuser will lead to vastly different c02 concetrations in the water. I agree with Scapegoat that depending on parameters/(dual) drop checker is the better way to go.

;
;
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yup. grab your pH before the co2 starts, then again an hour or two later.

I do keep an eye on my drop checker and fish more than I do tests on pH though.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Record the bubble counter. Slow it down. Isolate a 1 second interval. Count the bubbles. Should be easy enough with any basic video software.

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Forget the bubbles...you would just become good at counting CO2 bubbles...that's all.

Read this thread carefully if you are serious about CO2 dosing...

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...O2-pH-KH-table

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 AM
Planted Member

Yeah as others have said, bubbles are not uniform, and diffusion varies, so the count of bubbles per second is only marginally useful when comparing to the same exact setup. So your setup at 2 bps is putting out more CO2 than your setup at 1 bps, but someone else's setup at 5 bps could conceivably be diffusing less CO2 than either of those.

My Tanks:

-
-
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
An inverted measuring cup, smaller for lower flow CO2 flow rates, then run it for say 1-5 minutes= mls of CO2 gas per min or 5 mins etc.

This is GOLDEN.

The mls per min can be converted to seconds if you wish or mls per hour etc.
This will be the SAME no matter what type of CO2 system you have or bubble size etc etc.

So this in effect, standardizes ALL CO2 flow rates for comparisons.
Cost? Most already have a measuring cup, if you want, you can use a Class A kimax measuring graduated cylinder etc.

So the cost is basically Free.
Easy of use? Timer and wait. Easy.
World wide, EVERYONE can use this simple method.

But........does not say what your CO2 ppm, but..that's a relative measure and target anyway. So this gives a good way to measure the CO2 input.

A pH meter is the best method to measure relative CO2, I would never suggest a drop checker(DC). DC's are cheaper for sure, but hard to read and hard to respond to change in the tank and very hard to decipher 0.2 pH units, you have too much(yellow), too little(blue) maybe okay/good(greenish).

I can look at plants and fish and get better more accurate information.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I'm a musican. I use a metronome. It's doable for trying count something like under 6 bps. More than that and you should use another method.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tom, you make my brain hurt! Stop talking...LoL J/K that is very useful information.

I can relate to music and BPMs. Counting bubbles on the other hand just seemed kind of tedious. I would have to agree with what a lot are saying. Since I have an Apex on my tank I am able to monitor my pH that way and that is how I have been doing it. If it drops to fast then it is to much. If it drops to slow then it is not enough. Of course it doesn't give you PPM but that is ok, that where the drop checker comes in and I know they aren't actual end all be all but a good tool. So I would check it against a drop checker which I just got up until now because I was curious. So for me I just monitored the pH, if the fish were happy and plants were happy by watching growth and now the drop checker. I see so many people talking BPS that I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. For a second I thought maybe my logic was flawed but it is good to see I am not alone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode