venting again - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
venting again

Hi
Need to vent again. I called the pet store yesterday and explained how its been 4 weeks since the c02 dump and my readings are the same today as they were the day after the dump. I mentioned the bacteria Diana told me about so he says sure that will help. Ive been going to this ps for years and they have always known what they have been talking about. So I go there in the middle of the snow storm. He testing my water scratched his head goes and gets a brand new very expensive test kit and test it again. Since my ph kit only goes as low as 6 he decided to try this kit. He said my ph is 15 and should be 62. That my ph is keeping my cycle from progressing. I said okay ill add some crushed coral. He said nope and then started speeking science so he lost me. He suggested a 10 gallon wc and to add some buffer and this might start my cycle. I get home go talk to the people I trust about this and know that they have my best interest at heart. They didn't disagree with the salesman but I could tell they had other ideas. Ive put the buffer in and nothing I can do about it. I hate adding chemicals but if it kick starts my cycle okay. Once again I know there's no answer I just needed to get it out.
Thanks

Last edited by partobe; 12-11-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
ph or gh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

He said ph

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks scspegote From my test ph is 6 (but that's as low as it goes) amonia 2 nitrite 0 nitrite 0 and those numbers haven't changed since this happened nov 18th
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
venting again

A pH of 15 in your tank water just isn't going to happen. And considering pH maxes out around 14-15. I doubt it's going to happen much anywhere else. Especially not a pH of 62, unless you meant 6.2? Whatever test he was using isn't right. What exactly is "not changing" in your cycles tests?

Have you been doing water changes, what type of test kit do you have?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I'm going to start venting about you not reading what you typed before you post it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Xmas one
When im venting I don't stop to read my apologies
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i'm a little confused with the numbers though, as you're mentioning ph of 15 and 62. so I assume your ph is 1.5 and should be 6.2?

if your ph is reading 1.5 then... well, i don't believe it. I need to read your other post to see what's going on.

EDIT: so i glanced... and i really just don't know what's up lol. you're probably fine dude.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks edstewert
I could have misunderstood him. My understanding was my ph is extremely low so low the average test kit doesn't go that low. Since he was giving me numbers I hadn't heard I figured those were the numbers associated with that kit. I did ask thats when he said im 15 and need to be 62. The c02 dump happened on nov 18th on nove 19th my test results were ph 6 amonia 2.0 nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 4 weeks later my test are exactly the same no change.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks scapegoat
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

venting again

A 1.5 pH is extremely acidic, close to the acidity of hydrochloric acid. That doesn't make sense for your tank to be that low, as CO2 saturation in water will level out in the high 5s for a pH and that's with a ton of CO2 in the tank. Is there anything you have been putting in the water? Once again, how old and what type of test kit are you using? With a pH that low, ammonia isn't even toxic, as it's ammonium.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Brand new kit. Haven't even changed the water until today as he suggested. I use prime and nite out thats it. I did dose my plants once. I have a fluval 406 fluval 208 and small hob with ceramic beads and Spunges. I also have 2 bags of chimipure thats it. There is one fish in the tank german blue ram hes been in there the whole time
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstewart5 View Post
A 1.5 pH is extremely acidic, close to the acidity of hydrochloric acid.
yup, from what i'm seeing that acid is around 1.

if that fish store is telling you your ph is 1.5 everything in that tank would be long dead and you'd have considerable burns.

I don't place any importance on testing, and my tanks are doing just swell. maybe if i was keeping something expensive like discus would i give a hoot.

if your rams are still alive in that water, everything else will be just fine

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by partobe View Post
Brand new kit. Haven't even changed the water until today as he suggested. I use prime and nite out thats it. I did dose my plants once. I have a fluval 406 fluval 208 and small hob with ceramic beads and Spunges. I also have 2 bags of chimipure thats it. There is one fish in the tank german blue ram hes been in there the whole time
Isn't chemi pure the stuff that gives out false results in most tests?

My suggestion, since chemi pure soaks up nitrogen waste and ammonia, take out the chemi pure. Do another water change tomorrow. And let the tank run for a bit. It's possible it's giving out false readings, but even if it's not. With only 1 fish it's probably not allowing the bacteria to even populate as if it does as advertised is taking away all of the bacterial food.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks scapegoat and edstewert
I was like you so last week I spent a hour drip acclimating 3 glo light tetra from my other tank. Big fat hardy fish. With in an hour they were dead

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode