Plastic poisonous? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
It looks like my Betta is on his last legs but I'm wondering: I recently added 2 plastic flower pot holders (with no plants yet) in his tank. Within 3 days he's become noticable slower and eating less.

Is it possible that the plastic is leaking something into the tank? These are cheap dollar store flower pots and they were cleaned before going into the tank.

I have a full test kit and nothing is out of wack. Are there toxins in plastic that can leach into a tank? The pots have been removed for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
More likely there might be oils/chemicals and mold release compounds on the pots that might have fouled the water, but it is highly doubtful that the plastic itself leached anything into the water. It's always risky to use things in the aquarium unless they are labeled as aquarium-safe or safe for drinking water.

I hope the little guy makes it!

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah, it could be that he's just old (he was an "office" fish that my GF took in, and then I took him and put him in a 5 gal tank instead of his old 1 gal bowl).

Are there any tests for this sort of thing? The tank has full filtration with a bio wheel that I just changed 2 weeks ago (the filter). PH is at 7.6 and all other levels haven't changed (I don't have my records since I'm at work right now).

The only thing "wrong" with the tank is algae (bright green stuff that won't go away!).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode