Here's my tank so far - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here's my tank so far

I need some plant ideas with my tank. Anyone have anything in mind that would be a good fit or look good? Please let me here your suggestions, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Off to a nice start. I can't offer options for plants. I'm having a hard time deciding on plants for my own aquarium. A sword would look good in there. What kind of fish are currently in it? I can't quite tell from the pictures. Maybe an oscar and JD?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any start is a good start. I am not a fan of the background (go black, can't go wrong) or the fake hollowed out log. I say you just need more plants. A sword, like thelub said, would fill out that large tank for sure.

29 Gallon
Aqueon Evolve 4

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks guys. JD, two Oscars, green terror, and 6 Sd's. taking out GT and eventually JD
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
All those fish like to tear up plants so your options are a bit limited to mostly swords and anubias.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I happen to have a large sword available right now if you search in the classifieds....just saying

Great looking tank and off to a good start though!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Trust me, they've already started. How much?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
$8 plus shipping. Leaves are about 16-18 inches.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'd remove the fake log, and make another rock scape on that side like your other side, and i'd remove the fake background, and just paint the back black. Some big swords in the back 2 corners would look nice as well as some red plants to break up the black, and green going on.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Anubias and moss (maybe java fern or bolbitis?) are probably a good start. Pretty tough plants, tolerant of all kinds of plant-unfriendly conditions, and they don't need substrate - you can grow them on rocks, driftwood, whatever.

I think some of the bigger cichlids can be fairly rough on plants, but I don't have the personal experience. Maybe some sub-surface floaters like guppy grass, hornwort, etc.?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Algae Grower

I have to second or third on large cichlids not being the best plan of action with plants. Cichlids tend to dig and uproot plants in my experience.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
http://www.aqua-fish.net/index.php?c...red=&section=6
Is that a 40L tank ? As I like to keep very small fish anything more than 12" from front to back is counterproductive for me
as far as viewing my fish so I love the long/low tanks. They grow plants a bit better as you get higher returns on your lights
the shorter the tank is. You can crank up the light on a taller one if you can/don't mind the extra cost, but don't need it on these
lower tanks. That link will allow you to get plants by height. But you do still need to be mindful of other limits.
For example if you only put in the height of the plants you want some which they come up/w will need Co2 so just disregard those
if you don't plan on having the Co2.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

they've already been picking at them. so the best plants for cichlids would be ferns and anubias? Also, it is a 125 gallon tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode