Tiny white bug - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Tiny white bug

Hey all -

I just saw a teenie tiny white bug with legs in my aquarium. It's smaller than a granule of substrate (like 1/5 the size). My wife saw it before I did and it scurried under a piece of aquasoil. This tank is pretty al-natural, although it does have a (weak) filter on it, but no Co2 and low light. It has pond snails, a couple ramshorn, shrimp, planaria and now this? lol

What kind of water bug is it? I'm just curious whether it's harmful or not, or whether they infest like snails and planaria do.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 01:35 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had one of those also once, It most likely is some sort of fly midge or whatever u call it, baby dragonfly maybe too. I got mine from collecting river rocks from a stream, i ended up with about 6-10 baby dragonflies that looked like little scary looking ants.

Fish ate them though lol
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 02:39 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
if it's small as a size of a grain of salt, it's a shrimp like crustacean. it swims & crawls. Any small fish would love to eat it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Boz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Is it round, Ryan? A friend gave me some fish and now my tank is literally crawling with copepods. They look like little flying saucers.

Once you've gotten your plant fix, come talk fish!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I heard once that dragonfly larvae can actually harm fish. They can get lodged in the gills or something.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
yeah, it was round. I only saw it for a brief moment. Didn't even really get a good look, but that's what my wife said. I'll look again tonight and see if I can find it and/or see if there are more. No fish are in there, just CRS, RCS and a CBS...not sure if shrimp would eat those or not, as they don't bother the planaria unfortunately.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode