Swords different leaves - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My swords have two different kinds of leaves, there are longer more pointy ones and rounder oval shaped ones, the long pointy ones are all turning red and dying and the round ones are a healthy green. I heard this is normal? Is there any reason the plant now decides to only have this kind of leaf and lets the other die?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 04:23 PM

Most sword plants can grow emersed (above water surface) or immersed (below the surface). When you buy swords from you LFS, they have been grown emersed.

When you put them in your tank, the plant will start producing immersed type leaves, which are generally softer than than their emersed counterparts. As the plant continues to grow under water, it will loose its emersed leaves.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that does make sense from a biological standpoint. Do most other plants that do this as well? I have some other plants that seem to have unhealty leaves but have very healthy root systems.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 07:45 PM
2la

Yes, most sword plants do that. However, they usually preserve the longer leaves and shed the rounder, emersed leaves. What species of sword do you have? Are all the dying leaves located at the center of the plant or outside it (on the periphery)?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Well I have Melon and Amazon sword, I can't tell them apart really, they look exacly the same to me. A total of 3 swords, all of them have green round leaves and yellow/dying pointly leaves that stem from the middle.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 09:33 PM

my melon sword starts with small oval leaves, and as they grow, they get longer and elongated, but don't gain much width.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 12:14 AM
2la

Your middle leaves are the new leaves, and if they're dying then something's obviously wrong. Likewise, as malkore's example reinforces, most sword plants morph from rounded, oval leaves with long petioles to elongated, sword-like leaves with short petioles when adapting to underwater life. I'm at a loss to explain why your emersed growth isn't dying off, as well, but perhaps a rundown of your tank parameters and fertilizing regime might help eliminate some factors.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 01:33 AM
Algae Grower

it's hard to even think about how many good leaves i "pruned" from my ozelot sword before i learned that ... man did i feel stupid!!

quintin
--29 gallon--
55w cf, pressurized co2, cheesy hob, layered laterite/peat/profile/pea gravel substrate
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Well the plants have only been in there for two weeks, It's a 50 gallon with a 96watt compact fluro, nitrates in 20's, 0ammonia and nitite, hardness in 80's, not adding any ferts, I have flourite/intert gravel mix. I also have a Val in there which was dying, but I think I just planted it too deep in the substrate looks like it's coming back, I also have a E. Radicans in there where I also have some leaves dying off and some which look very healthy. I am pretty much just waiting to see what happens with them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

quilaho which ones were you clipping off?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Algae Grower

the new growth ... as i'm still getting in the swing of co2, nutrients, lighting ... i just thought the plant was not doing that well. the leaves were spotted, smaller ... mis-shaped if compared to the leaves when i got the plant.

live and learn ... those were the submersed version.

quintin
--29 gallon--
55w cf, pressurized co2, cheesy hob, layered laterite/peat/profile/pea gravel substrate
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 02:10 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Get yourself some Flourish Tabs and place one tab deep under the roots of each of your swords and you will see a drastic difference in plant health. They are heavy root feeders and will show poor quality in the leaves without them , especially as they mature.
This should be done every couple months.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode