custom tank and custom filter setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
custom tank and custom filter setup

hi everyone,

I am planning a new tank setup and wanted to share my idea and seek advise and opinions.

the setup consists of two tanks, one being the display tank placed in the living room, the second smaller sized tank will be the filter tank placed in the room adjacent to the living room. It's not really a sump concept but I would rather call it a master/servant system.

Both tanks will be at the same level with the intention of having exactly the same water level in both tanks. the display tank will be connected to the filter tank by means of two diam.50mm pipes. The filter tank will have a kind of hamburg filter mat setup. water flows from the display tank to the filter tank by gravity (communicating barrels plus the suction of the return pump) trough the filter mat, then trough some ceramic rings or other chemical media, then trough a fine filter mat into the last chamber where the return pump, heater and other stuff can be placed. the filter tank will have an overflow drain and a water change drain also. the main idea is to have minimal disturbance of the display tank, and to do the maintenance from the filter tank. water change happens by opening the water change valve and let the water just run into the drain. then fresh water can be added back into the filter tank via an ordinary plumbing system. this could be automated in future with solenoid valves, timers or float switches or aqua controller or any other computerised system.

I have attached a quick sketch off the setup.
Display tank will be something between a jungle style amazon tank and a Dutch planted tank. I tend to overstock or at least try to maximise the number of fish the entire system can handle. That's why I added the second chamber with ceramic rings in the filter tank. a true hamburg matte filter will not need it but I am not sure if it can manage the bio load?

I hope the sketch explains better then my one thousand words above.
Has anybody tried something similar before and what was your experience with it?
Any thoughts and comments are highly welcome.

thank you all and enjoy reading the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	245033  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I can only assume you're going to have bulkheads in the display tank that plumbs to the filter tank correct? So simliar to an overflow and a sump setup like used in reef tanks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
look into a beananimal overflow , they are the best from what I have read

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thx for the reply.

the overflow is still something I am looking into. overflows tend to drain the water at the upper levels, where I would like to drain most of the water at lower levels.
There are several types of overflow and I am still a bit confused on what type of overflow to incorporate in this setup. currently thinking leans toward doing a kind of Herbie overflow but without the baffle wall. I could place the two main drain standpipes at different levels. one near the bottom, one closer to the surface.
I could also make both pipes as a standpipe with a tee at different level. the tee will take the water to the filter tank, whilst the standpipe acts as an emergency overflow.

I agree that the overflow is something to think about carefully. I would not like to come home and start mopping the floors. And I need to consider the type of overflow before ordering the tank so that I know where to place the holes to be drilled and the number of holes required.
hmmm, still confused.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
i use this but with the strainers more twords the bottom of the tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KkUhiQU3o

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode