Local and International market oportunities - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Local and International market oportunities

Hello to everyone,

many of us if not all in this forum have a passion for the hobby and the few lucky ones can make a living out of it or at least be able to make some money. What I'm looking for is opportunities to be able to do that locally or internationally. Here are my thoughts:

1. Since I live in a sunny country, a good opportunity is to try and cultivate aquatic plants. First the ones that can be emersed which is easier and then move on to submersed ones. Is there an international market for something like this? Because locally I am sure I would have a difficult time selling such plants unless they were the ones that pet stores sell in which case I would provide the pet stores with the plants.

2. An on-line store that sells aquarium equipment locally. A research needs to be conducted if there will be any profit but more or less in a world of cyber sales it is a low risk move. Will a local (in my country) on-line aquatic store work and what are the challenges to be faced?

3. An international on-line store that will sell specific aquarium stuff e.g EI salts (which I know something like that already exists) or something else specific.

4. An international or local on-line shop that sells small creations that have aquatic/terestrial plants with a bit of aquascaping "magic" in them e.g. vases, small ornaments

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think that I would initially begin with listings on aquabid, the buy/sell sections of most related websites, and [Ebay Link Removed] After creating a good business model from that, Id consider hiring a web designer, a financial consult and I think that you could really begin to make a name for yourself like that. Just my late night opinion after a glass of pinot, hah! I would attempt to provide something that your competition cannot. Whether that be your product srlection/availability, shipping cost/speed, or just your level of quality/care/service. I know absolutely nothing about business and very little about growing plants, I just like to put my opinion out there from time to time while reading through the depths of info on here. Good luck in your venture, I think its a great idea. The more people supporting this hobby the better.

Apart from all that, I like the idea of selling to the LFS, and if you can figure a way to market presetup vases/ornamentals it would be a hit..(if you can figure out how to ship a setup vase that required little work/maintenance.
Cheers!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode