1st REAL attempt at planted. Planning Stages, need encouragement... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
1st REAL attempt at planted. Planning Stages, need encouragement...

This is my first REAL attempt at a planted tank (twice before I threw plants in not knowing they needed so much attention).

Anyways, the tank is a 120 gallon 4’ X 2’ X 2’ (LxWxH) and has a large “tree trunk” 3D background.

Substrate
50-50 mixture of Eco-Complete and black sand blasting sand.

Lighting
118watts total. Lights sit about 26-27” above the substrate.
1 - 4' T5HO single light fixture with a great reflector
1 - 4' T8 double fixture with white reflectors (shop light)

Dosing Regimen
1.5% DIY glutaraladehyde mixture- Dosed at 50 ml after water change and 10 ml daily (might get rid of the “loading phase” and just dose 10 ml daily)

The following will be dosed weekly after the water change:
KNO3 - 1/4 teaspoon
KH2PO4 - 1/8 teaspoon
Plantex CSM +Boron (solution) - 1/2 tablespoon

I will be performing weekly 40-50% water changes
Below are the parameters of my water here in Fort Worth over the last year.
Nitrate - .75ppm
Nitrite - .4ppm
PH - 8.0 - 8.4
Calcium - 97-110ppm
Magnesium - 4-8ppm
Sulfate - 25-38
Sodium - 14-28ppm
Copper - .51ppm

Stock List

8 – Clown Loaches (ranging from 3” to 10”)
5 – Geo Tapajos (3”-4”)
5 – Roseline Sharks
3 – Discus
1 – Golden Nugget Pleco (L018)

Plants
Amazon Sword
Anubias Nana
Java Fern
Crinum Natans
Cryto Balansae
Sag Subulata (Dwarf Sag)
Green Tiger Lotus

I put together a very quick sketch of my plans on a sheet of paper as you can see below. The tank can only be viewed from the left and bottom side of the drawing. The swiggly lines that encase most of the bigger plants is the dwarf Sag. Both pieces of drift wood will have Anubias or Java Fern tied to them. Also, there is a triangular portion in the middle that will be bare sand only to allow room for my Geos to sift.

Please critique my setup as I am just in the planning stages and want to make sure I have this right the first time.

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131209_165319.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	244929  

Last edited by FishFinatic; 12-09-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I applaud your planning and preparations, I have also drawn many sketches and whatnot. I am new to planted tanks myself. I'm sure that you will find plenty of advice and I'm not one to provide much in regards to this, but I'd like to ask.. from what data did you formulate you own diy Glut mixture? I'd like to do that as well. I'm excited for you, your tank dimensions make me envious!

*Make sure to start a tank journal with pics when you get going! I love reading them.

Last edited by KribsDirect; 12-09-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: *
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KribsDirect View Post
I applaud your planning and preparations, I have also drawn many sketches and whatnot. I am new to planted tanks myself. I'm sure that you will find plenty of advice and I'm not one to provide much in regards to this, but I'd like to ask.. from what data did you formulate you own diy Glut mixture? I'd like to do that as well. I'm excited for you, your tank dimensions make me envious!

*Make sure to start a tank journal with pics when you get going! I love reading them.
If you purchase metricide 14 from eeeebay, you can mix your own solution with the help of the calculator I included below. Its much cheaper than purchasing excel which is essentially just a watered down version of metricide 14.

http://rota.la/glut/

OP, for someone starting their first planted tank, your preparations are very impressive. I can't wait to see this tank. The 3D background for a tank of that size sounds awesome!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
120g -- thats a big project!

I have a planted 42g with an "ultra lo tech" setup but one that works. Your setup is much more hi tech than mine including the substrate and all so I cant offer too many suggestions on those fronts. You already seem like an expert.

I have to balance so many parameters even in my lo tech and in your setup there are so many additional params to balance.

I would love to know how you or anyone going for such a big setup plans about upkeeping the general hygiene of the tank - cleaning the substrate, etc. Will you be siphoning regularly? Filtration?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adive View Post
We do it BIG in Texas haven't you heard?

Hey FishFinatic what is your Hardness numbers? That will also come into play with your dosing if you need to use GH Booster. Seeing that some of your numbers are a little lower then some of mine you may have to. Yall pull from Possum Kingdom right? Also didn't see but you plan on running C02?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by adive View Post

I have a planted 42g with an "ultra lo tech" setup but one that works. Your setup is much more hi tech than mine including the substrate and all so I cant offer too many suggestions on those fronts. You already seem like an expert.

I have to balance so many parameters even in my lo tech and in your setup there are so many additional params to balance.

I would love to know how you or anyone going for such a big setup plans about upkeeping the general hygiene of the tank - cleaning the substrate, etc. Will you be siphoning regularly? Filtration?
I've been keeping large tanks for awhile. IMO the upkeep almost gets easier the bigger you go. There is more room to vacuum substrate and more glass to clean but other than that it is much easier to keep stable water parameters. I do a light vacuum once a week with my water changes but it doesn't take much time at all.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
We do it BIG in Texas haven't you heard?

Hey FishFinatic what is your Hardness numbers? That will also come into play with your dosing if you need to use GH Booster. Seeing that some of your numbers are a little lower then some of mine you may have to. Yall pull from Possum Kingdom right? Also didn't see but you plan on running C02?
You think that's big? I just finished building a 400 gallon tank with 130ish gallons of filtration. It holds a huge Arowana and other South American fish.

Anyways, on to the planted tank.

I will be using the "DIY Excel" in place of C02 for my carbon source.

Here are the numbers from the report. I haven't tested it on my end yet

Total Hardness as CaCO3 -
117 to 133 ppm

Total Hardness in Grains - 7 to 8 grains/gallon

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markahsf View Post
If you purchase metricide 14 from eeeebay, you can mix your own solution with the help of the calculator I included below. Its much cheaper than purchasing excel which is essentially just a watered down version of metricide 14.

http://rota.la/glut/

OP, for someone starting their first planted tank, your preparations are very impressive. I can't wait to see this tank. The 3D background for a tank of that size sounds awesome!
Here is a picture of the 3d background right after I put it in. Water is a little cloudy still but you get the idea.
Attached Images

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFinatic View Post

Here are the numbers from the report. I haven't tested it on my end yet

Total Hardness as CaCO3 -
117 to 133 ppm

Total Hardness in Grains - 7 to 8 grains/gallon
Looks to be pretty good, at least a lot better than mine. Mine is...

Non-Carbonate hardness Raw 173 Treated 71.2
Total Hardness Raw 287 Treated 174

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode