Need help with new sump design - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Need help with new sump design

I am starting to move forward with getting everything ready for my new tank build.

Moving into the new house in 2 weeks, and once settled I hope to place my order for the tank. Everything has been designed tank/stand so on except the sump.

I need help with the sump design.

The tank is 84x24x24

Here what I am thinking for the sump.

48x20x20

Filter socks (2 or 3)?

Should have it be a wet/dry system? Will this work with using CO2?

I am thinking refugim would be a good idea, thoughts on this?

External or Internal pump, I need something that going to be very silent.

How much media would I need to put in the sump, and suggestions how to do that?

Sorry for so many questions, but not sure where to start. I am having it custom built so I need to come up with design and then send it off to builder to see what they think about it.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
sumps are very easy to make yourself using an aquarium, i'd really consider doing it yourself. all you need is some glass or plexi-glass, some silicone, and that's about it. a 75 gallon tank is 48 x 18 x 20, you can find used ones cheap and get the plexi really cheap too at any big box hardware store or even a glass shop.

for a return pump you can do internal or external, it's all up to you. external does add one more possible leak point. the most reliable, quiet return pump i have used would be the eheim. i used a 1262 and it worked great, which one you would need woudl depend on desired turnover rate and head height.

the number of filter socks would depend on how many drains you have running to the sump. i would do 1 sock per drain.

refugium, wet dry, media, all of that is up to you, that's what makes building sump so fun. you will really learn a lot building your own sump.

youtube has tons of how-to-videos for building a sump. check these out

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
Filter socks aren't a necessity for freshwater planted tanks. Unlike reef systems, we aren't trying to quickly export all organic matter. I'd use them for spot duty, like when trimming the tank to catch all the plant debris for easy removal. I wouldn't use them around the clock. We also generally have smaller livestock in freshwater and they stand a better chance of rescue in a bare sump chamber than tangled in a sock.

The sock can be useful for catching micro bubbles, but there are other methods like baffles or sponge blocks that require less maintenance. And in a sump that big I'd be surprised if bubbles made it through to the pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for the info so far, not up for building it on my own, place that building tank/stand/canopy they are building the sump and doing all plumbing for me as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode